Apr 22, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
The heir apparent to lead #DunkCity is now official.
Florida Gulf Coast held a Monday afternoon press conference to announce Joe Dooley as the new head coach of the Eagles. Dooley comes to campus from Bill Self’s staff at Kansas, where he’s spent the past 10 seasons.
Dooley takes over for Andy Enfield, who left for USC after helping to introduce FGCU to the public with their above-the-rim style of basketball that gained them national notoriety en route to becoming the first 15 seed to ever advance to the Sweet 16, beating second-seeded Georgetown and seven-seed San Diego State to make it to Dallas before falling to Florida.
The job is Dooley’s second as a head coach at the Division I level. He spent four seasons in the 1990s as head coach at East Carolina, going 57-52. He also made stops at New Mexico, Wyoming and South Carolina as an assistant in addition to Kansas.
Dooley came highly-recommended from the Jayhawks, who have dominated the Big 12 Conference with Dooley’s help on the bench. He can definitely recruit, and the program needed a good name in the recruiting and coaching game to keep the success Enfield started. Dooley seems to be that guy.
Enfield had been pushing for FGCU assistant coach Marty Richter to get the job prior to Dooley’s appointment.
FGCU finished last season 26-11 and won their first-ever Atlantic Sun Conference tournament title, leading to the program’s first-ever NCAA Tournament experience in just its second year of eligibility.
(Photo courtesy of FGCU Athletics.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)