Apr 22, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
The heir apparent to lead #DunkCity is now official.
Florida Gulf Coast held a Monday afternoon press conference to announce Joe Dooley as the new head coach of the Eagles. Dooley comes to campus from Bill Self’s staff at Kansas, where he’s spent the past 10 seasons.
Dooley takes over for Andy Enfield, who left for USC after helping to introduce FGCU to the public with their above-the-rim style of basketball that gained them national notoriety en route to becoming the first 15 seed to ever advance to the Sweet 16, beating second-seeded Georgetown and seven-seed San Diego State to make it to Dallas before falling to Florida.
The job is Dooley’s second as a head coach at the Division I level. He spent four seasons in the 1990s as head coach at East Carolina, going 57-52. He also made stops at New Mexico, Wyoming and South Carolina as an assistant in addition to Kansas.
Dooley came highly-recommended from the Jayhawks, who have dominated the Big 12 Conference with Dooley’s help on the bench. He can definitely recruit, and the program needed a good name in the recruiting and coaching game to keep the success Enfield started. Dooley seems to be that guy.
Enfield had been pushing for FGCU assistant coach Marty Richter to get the job prior to Dooley’s appointment.
FGCU finished last season 26-11 and won their first-ever Atlantic Sun Conference tournament title, leading to the program’s first-ever NCAA Tournament experience in just its second year of eligibility.
(Photo courtesy of FGCU Athletics.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Aug 20, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Kentucky made the decision not to allow one of their stars to head to Spain for two weeks while they’re supposed to be in class.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Think Jayhawk fans remember the name Ali Farokhmanesh?
Aug 20, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
This took a while to plan.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
The Tigers have zero minutes of experience in their back court.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Indiana now has six commitments in the Class of 2014.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Kampe over came his fear of heights but still got hit with ice water.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Memphis was 2-2 in Canada.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Ray Kasongo was denied admission from Oregon on July 30, reopening his recruitment.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This new court design is interesting to say the least.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Take a look at what tournaments the Shockers will appear in over the next few years.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Jimmy Whitt is ranked just outside the top 50 in the Class of 2015.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman averaged 17.5 points, 11.5 boards and 2.2 blocks per game in four games at the Nike Global Challenge.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Nicholls State may have a large, orange-clad fan base these days.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
It’s how they played through their six games in the Bahamas.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaka Smart brings in a perfect piece and that was a priority recruit.
Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
It looks like everyone had a great time.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Jason Holmes is a pro athlete in a sport he never heard of.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Will these ever end?
Aug 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Christian James is one of the better dunkers in the 2015 class.
Aug 18, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
A former Vanderbilt player is hoping to release a book discussing the dirtier side of college basketball.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)