Apr 22, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After coaching Stephen F. Austin to one of its best seasons in school history, Danny Kaspar left the Lumberjacks to become the new head coach at Texas State. Now Stephen F. Austin has found the man to replace him.
South Carolina assistant Brad Underwood will take over the program, according to CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman.
Underwood spent one season with the Gamecocks under Frank Martin before deciding to take over the Southland Conference regular season champions. He spent five seasons prior on staff under Martin at Kansas State.
Stephen F. Austin has hired South Carolina assistant Brad Underwood, sources confirmed to CBSSports.
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanCBS) April 22, 2013
This will be Underwood’s first head coaching stop at the Division I level, previously heading up two programs at the junior college level in Dodge City (Kan.) Community College and Daytona Beach (Fla.) Community College. He also was an assistant at Western Illinois from 1992-2003. Kaspar was able to find a ton of talent in junior colleges, including the Lumberjacks top two scorers last season in Taylor Smith and Antonio Bostic. Both have exhausted their eligibility.
A McPherson, Kan. native, Underwood gets a bit closer to home and too his recruiting roots by going to a Texas school. He’ll have some players to work with next season if he can keep all, or at least a majority, of them on campus. The Lumberjacks lose four seniors, but return players they can build with in Desmond Haymon (10.6 points per game in 2012-13) and Jacob Parker (7.2 points, 4.3 rebounds last season).
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)