Apr 22, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After coaching Stephen F. Austin to one of its best seasons in school history, Danny Kaspar left the Lumberjacks to become the new head coach at Texas State. Now Stephen F. Austin has found the man to replace him.
South Carolina assistant Brad Underwood will take over the program, according to CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman.
Underwood spent one season with the Gamecocks under Frank Martin before deciding to take over the Southland Conference regular season champions. He spent five seasons prior on staff under Martin at Kansas State.
Stephen F. Austin has hired South Carolina assistant Brad Underwood, sources confirmed to CBSSports.
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanCBS) April 22, 2013
This will be Underwood’s first head coaching stop at the Division I level, previously heading up two programs at the junior college level in Dodge City (Kan.) Community College and Daytona Beach (Fla.) Community College. He also was an assistant at Western Illinois from 1992-2003. Kaspar was able to find a ton of talent in junior colleges, including the Lumberjacks top two scorers last season in Taylor Smith and Antonio Bostic. Both have exhausted their eligibility.
A McPherson, Kan. native, Underwood gets a bit closer to home and too his recruiting roots by going to a Texas school. He’ll have some players to work with next season if he can keep all, or at least a majority, of them on campus. The Lumberjacks lose four seniors, but return players they can build with in Desmond Haymon (10.6 points per game in 2012-13) and Jacob Parker (7.2 points, 4.3 rebounds last season).
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (4)