Apr 22, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After coaching Stephen F. Austin to one of its best seasons in school history, Danny Kaspar left the Lumberjacks to become the new head coach at Texas State. Now Stephen F. Austin has found the man to replace him.
South Carolina assistant Brad Underwood will take over the program, according to CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman.
Underwood spent one season with the Gamecocks under Frank Martin before deciding to take over the Southland Conference regular season champions. He spent five seasons prior on staff under Martin at Kansas State.
Stephen F. Austin has hired South Carolina assistant Brad Underwood, sources confirmed to CBSSports.
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanCBS) April 22, 2013
This will be Underwood’s first head coaching stop at the Division I level, previously heading up two programs at the junior college level in Dodge City (Kan.) Community College and Daytona Beach (Fla.) Community College. He also was an assistant at Western Illinois from 1992-2003. Kaspar was able to find a ton of talent in junior colleges, including the Lumberjacks top two scorers last season in Taylor Smith and Antonio Bostic. Both have exhausted their eligibility.
A McPherson, Kan. native, Underwood gets a bit closer to home and too his recruiting roots by going to a Texas school. He’ll have some players to work with next season if he can keep all, or at least a majority, of them on campus. The Lumberjacks lose four seniors, but return players they can build with in Desmond Haymon (10.6 points per game in 2012-13) and Jacob Parker (7.2 points, 4.3 rebounds last season).
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 1
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)