Apr 22, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
I spent the weekend up in Pittsburgh at the Hoop Group Jam Fest, and while I did get a chance to see quite a bit of talent, I still left disappointed.
Because the kid in the video you see above — Seventh Woods — was there but was injured. I didn’t get to see him play. And I wanted to see him play, because as impressive as that mixtape is, it becomes all the more incredible when you think about the fact that he is just 14 years old and has yet to finish his freshman year in high school.
His freshman season is over, however. He averaged 19.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.7 steals, per MaxPreps.
The injury Woods suffered this weekend? A concussion. From hitting his head on the back board. I can believe that:
It’s dangerous hyping up kids that are this young. Basketball is littered with 14 year old phenoms that fizzled out by the time they reached college. Think Renardo Sidney. Think Lenny Cook or Schea Cotton. Go read Play Their Hearts Out and think about Demetrius Walker. Woods has all the talent in the world, and he could one day end up being the next LeBron or the next Andrew Wiggins or what have you. But he could also end up being the next cautionary tale if he buys into the hype too early.
Hopefully, Woods doesn’t join that list.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)