Apr 22, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
I spent the weekend up in Pittsburgh at the Hoop Group Jam Fest, and while I did get a chance to see quite a bit of talent, I still left disappointed.
Because the kid in the video you see above — Seventh Woods — was there but was injured. I didn’t get to see him play. And I wanted to see him play, because as impressive as that mixtape is, it becomes all the more incredible when you think about the fact that he is just 14 years old and has yet to finish his freshman year in high school.
His freshman season is over, however. He averaged 19.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.7 steals, per MaxPreps.
The injury Woods suffered this weekend? A concussion. From hitting his head on the back board. I can believe that:
It’s dangerous hyping up kids that are this young. Basketball is littered with 14 year old phenoms that fizzled out by the time they reached college. Think Renardo Sidney. Think Lenny Cook or Schea Cotton. Go read Play Their Hearts Out and think about Demetrius Walker. Woods has all the talent in the world, and he could one day end up being the next LeBron or the next Andrew Wiggins or what have you. But he could also end up being the next cautionary tale if he buys into the hype too early.
Hopefully, Woods doesn’t join that list.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)