Apr 22, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
I spent the weekend up in Pittsburgh at the Hoop Group Jam Fest, and while I did get a chance to see quite a bit of talent, I still left disappointed.
Because the kid in the video you see above — Seventh Woods — was there but was injured. I didn’t get to see him play. And I wanted to see him play, because as impressive as that mixtape is, it becomes all the more incredible when you think about the fact that he is just 14 years old and has yet to finish his freshman year in high school.
His freshman season is over, however. He averaged 19.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.7 steals, per MaxPreps.
The injury Woods suffered this weekend? A concussion. From hitting his head on the back board. I can believe that:
It’s dangerous hyping up kids that are this young. Basketball is littered with 14 year old phenoms that fizzled out by the time they reached college. Think Renardo Sidney. Think Lenny Cook or Schea Cotton. Go read Play Their Hearts Out and think about Demetrius Walker. Woods has all the talent in the world, and he could one day end up being the next LeBron or the next Andrew Wiggins or what have you. But he could also end up being the next cautionary tale if he buys into the hype too early.
Hopefully, Woods doesn’t join that list.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)