Apr 22, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
I spent the weekend up in Pittsburgh at the Hoop Group Jam Fest, and while I did get a chance to see quite a bit of talent, I still left disappointed.
Because the kid in the video you see above — Seventh Woods — was there but was injured. I didn’t get to see him play. And I wanted to see him play, because as impressive as that mixtape is, it becomes all the more incredible when you think about the fact that he is just 14 years old and has yet to finish his freshman year in high school.
His freshman season is over, however. He averaged 19.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.7 steals, per MaxPreps.
The injury Woods suffered this weekend? A concussion. From hitting his head on the back board. I can believe that:
It’s dangerous hyping up kids that are this young. Basketball is littered with 14 year old phenoms that fizzled out by the time they reached college. Think Renardo Sidney. Think Lenny Cook or Schea Cotton. Go read Play Their Hearts Out and think about Demetrius Walker. Woods has all the talent in the world, and he could one day end up being the next LeBron or the next Andrew Wiggins or what have you. But he could also end up being the next cautionary tale if he buys into the hype too early.
Hopefully, Woods doesn’t join that list.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)