Apr 23, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
DeAndre Kane will transfer out of Marshall and play his final year at another school.
Kane, the Thundering Herd’s most complete player averaging 15.1 points, seven assists and 4.4 rebounds last season, could take advantage of the graduate transfer rule and play immediately in Division I, according to CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman.
He likely will not be permitted to transfer within Conference USA.
This is a big loss for coach Tom Herrion’s program. Kane is his most valued asset on offense and defense and a team leader. This season was disappointing for the Herd, considering all the hype — Marshall finished 13-19 after they were tabbed to challenge Memphis and Southern Miss for the C-USA title — and this just makes for a rougher ending.
The Pittsburgh native has arguably been the program’s most consistent player in his three years on the court, averaging at least 15 points per game in at least 31 minutes per game in his career. He’s also greatly improved as a distributor, going from 3.5 assists as a sophomore to seven this season. He redshirted as a freshman in Huntington, W.V.
If their is one weakness in Kane’s game, it’s at the free throw line, Kane, a 6-4 guard, has gotten worse each year at the stripe, going from 63.3 percent as a redshirt freshman, to 59.9 last season to 52.1 this year. He’s stuck around 40-percent shooting from the field his whole career.
Given Kane’s talent and the completeness of his game, it wouldn’t shock me to see him give one year to a high major program in 2013-14.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)