Apr 23, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
After losing Tarik Black to transfer, Memphis was on the lookout for a forward to replace him. Coach Josh Pastner may have found him.
George Washington big man David Pellom is reportedly headed to Memphis and will be eligible to play immediately under the graduate transfer rule when he graduates in May, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal’s Jason Smith.
Pellom, a 6-8, 220-pound fifth-year senior-to-be sat out all of the 2012-13 season with a wrist injury.
“I was kind of leaning towards (transferring to) Drexel, but (Memphis assistant Aki Collins) gave me a call,” Pellom said to Smith. “I looked up Memphis and did my research on them … and felt what I had to bring to the table was something that Memphis was looking for.”
As a junior in 2011-12, Pellom averaged 10.4 points, 6.1 rebounds and shot an impressive 68.5 percent from the field (122-of-178). He had some trouble at the free throw line, hitting 53 percent from the stripe. Pellom’s almost 70-percent clip overall was a single-season record for the Colonials.
Pellom experienced a sizable scoring improvement from his sophomore to his junior year at George Washington, pouring in 6.7 points in 2010-11. That will be necessary in his time in the Tigers’ post with Black (8.1 points, 4.8 rebounds this past season) gone.
Pellom was a dire need for Memphis with very little experience returning in the frontcourt. The Tigers do get sophomore-to-be Shaq Goodwin (7.4 points, 4.4 rebounds in 2012-13) back, and bring in a stellar recruiting class for next season, including forwards Kuran Iverson and home-grown talent Austin Nichols.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)