Apr 23, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Richard Pitino is rounding out his coaching staff as the new head man at Minnesota, and he added another coach to the fold in Seton Hall assistant Dan McHale.
Multiple sources reported the hire Tuesday afternoon, with McHale coming aboard in Minneapolis after three season’s under Kevin Willard in the Pirates’ program.
McHale has a number of connections to Pitino, all dating back to working under Pitino’s father Rick at Louisville. McHale served as staff assistant and video coordinator with the Cardinals before leaving with Willard, who was an assistant under Pitino at the same time, for a spot on the bench at Iona. After three years at Iona, McHale followed Willard to Seton Hall.
McHale also has ties to former Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, working for him as a student assistant as an undergrad at Kentucky from 1997-2001.
The hire completes the meat of Pitino’s first staff with the Golden Gophers which, as Amelia Rayno of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune points out, is really young. Pitino doesn’t have a single assistant over 40, with Kimani Young being 39.
Can’t hurt to be closer in age to the kids you’re recruiting, right?
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)