Apr 23, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Richard Pitino is rounding out his coaching staff as the new head man at Minnesota, and he added another coach to the fold in Seton Hall assistant Dan McHale.
Multiple sources reported the hire Tuesday afternoon, with McHale coming aboard in Minneapolis after three season’s under Kevin Willard in the Pirates’ program.
McHale has a number of connections to Pitino, all dating back to working under Pitino’s father Rick at Louisville. McHale served as staff assistant and video coordinator with the Cardinals before leaving with Willard, who was an assistant under Pitino at the same time, for a spot on the bench at Iona. After three years at Iona, McHale followed Willard to Seton Hall.
McHale also has ties to former Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, working for him as a student assistant as an undergrad at Kentucky from 1997-2001.
The hire completes the meat of Pitino’s first staff with the Golden Gophers which, as Amelia Rayno of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune points out, is really young. Pitino doesn’t have a single assistant over 40, with Kimani Young being 39.
Can’t hurt to be closer in age to the kids you’re recruiting, right?
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)