Apr 23, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Richard Pitino is rounding out his coaching staff as the new head man at Minnesota, and he added another coach to the fold in Seton Hall assistant Dan McHale.
Multiple sources reported the hire Tuesday afternoon, with McHale coming aboard in Minneapolis after three season’s under Kevin Willard in the Pirates’ program.
McHale has a number of connections to Pitino, all dating back to working under Pitino’s father Rick at Louisville. McHale served as staff assistant and video coordinator with the Cardinals before leaving with Willard, who was an assistant under Pitino at the same time, for a spot on the bench at Iona. After three years at Iona, McHale followed Willard to Seton Hall.
McHale also has ties to former Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, working for him as a student assistant as an undergrad at Kentucky from 1997-2001.
The hire completes the meat of Pitino’s first staff with the Golden Gophers which, as Amelia Rayno of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune points out, is really young. Pitino doesn’t have a single assistant over 40, with Kimani Young being 39.
Can’t hurt to be closer in age to the kids you’re recruiting, right?
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)