Apr 23, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Richard Pitino is rounding out his coaching staff as the new head man at Minnesota, and he added another coach to the fold in Seton Hall assistant Dan McHale.
Multiple sources reported the hire Tuesday afternoon, with McHale coming aboard in Minneapolis after three season’s under Kevin Willard in the Pirates’ program.
McHale has a number of connections to Pitino, all dating back to working under Pitino’s father Rick at Louisville. McHale served as staff assistant and video coordinator with the Cardinals before leaving with Willard, who was an assistant under Pitino at the same time, for a spot on the bench at Iona. After three years at Iona, McHale followed Willard to Seton Hall.
McHale also has ties to former Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, working for him as a student assistant as an undergrad at Kentucky from 1997-2001.
The hire completes the meat of Pitino’s first staff with the Golden Gophers which, as Amelia Rayno of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune points out, is really young. Pitino doesn’t have a single assistant over 40, with Kimani Young being 39.
Can’t hurt to be closer in age to the kids you’re recruiting, right?
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)