Apr 23, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
Kansas State suffered a big blow on Monday when Angel Rodriguez announced that he would be transferring out of the program.
It’s not terribly surprising that Rodriguez left the Wildcats; he was recruited to the school by former head coach Frank Martin. But Rodriguez stuck around after Martin left and actually had quite a successful sophomore season. The reason that he is transferring is that he wants to be closer to his family.
“It is important that everyone understands that this was a really difficult decision,” Rodriguez said in a statement released by the school. “I have really enjoyed my time here and this decision was based entirely on my family and has nothing do with Kansas State, basketball or the coaching staff. It’s unfortunate after the year we just had, but I just feel right now this is the best thing for me and my family. Whether it is the right choice or not, family has and always will be first with me.”
Rodriguez is a native of Puerto Rico that spent his high school years in Miami. If he wants to be closer to home, the logical school to transfer to would be … Miami. And, according to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, that’s precisely who has emerged as the front runner.
“As far as I know, he hasn’t had any conversation with UM yet, but he’s made it clear he wants to play in Florida, and preferably in Miami,” Rodriguez’s former high school coach told the Miami Herald. “The question now is who will reach out to him? Will it be Miami, USF, the Gators? I’ll do whatever I can to help. I know he wants to do this quickly.’’
Here’s something to think about. Let’s say that Shane Larkin decides to return to school for his junior season. And let’s say that the reason that Rodriguez is transferring closer to home is because of an incident in his family that would allow him to receive a waiver from the NCAA. That back court quickly becomes arguably the best in the ACC and among the best in the country.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but at the very least, Jim Larranaga has now found the guy he needs to target to run the point for his program in 2014-2015.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 40
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (40)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)