Apr 23, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
Things haven’t been going well for former Michigan guard Rumeal Robinson. He’s currently serving a 78-month sentence for multiple financial crimes including bank bribery and wire fraud, and he’s had to pay back a hefty part of his pension as a result. Now, his 1989 national title ring is up for sale.
The seller is a man named Yee Mar, who has owned the ring for several years and originally purchased it from one of Robinson’s friends. He’s asking $89,899.89 on eBay for it, though he’s admitted he doesn’t expect to get that much for it.
It’s a sad thing to see this happen, though some people just don’t care as much about memorabilia as others do. The truly disappointing thing is that Robinson wasn’t some walk-on who watched the title game against Seton Hall unfold. He won the game with two clutch free throws with three seconds left to help the Wolverines’ to their only men’s basketball national title to date.
Robinson averaged 14.3 points and 5.7 rebounds in his four-year career in Ann Arbor.
After college, Robinson played with Atlanta, New Jersey, Portland, Phoenix, Charlotte and the Los Angeles Lakers over 13-year pro career. He was the 10th overall pick of the 1990 NBA Draft and averaged 7.6 points and 3.5 assists in the NBA.
So, if important pieces of college basketball history are your thing, or you’re just a Michigan fan who wants to remember the day before the Fab Five (though, the Fab Five years were pretty awesome), have at it. I mean, hey, there’s free shipping, after all.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)