Apr 23, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
Things haven’t been going well for former Michigan guard Rumeal Robinson. He’s currently serving a 78-month sentence for multiple financial crimes including bank bribery and wire fraud, and he’s had to pay back a hefty part of his pension as a result. Now, his 1989 national title ring is up for sale.
The seller is a man named Yee Mar, who has owned the ring for several years and originally purchased it from one of Robinson’s friends. He’s asking $89,899.89 on eBay for it, though he’s admitted he doesn’t expect to get that much for it.
It’s a sad thing to see this happen, though some people just don’t care as much about memorabilia as others do. The truly disappointing thing is that Robinson wasn’t some walk-on who watched the title game against Seton Hall unfold. He won the game with two clutch free throws with three seconds left to help the Wolverines’ to their only men’s basketball national title to date.
Robinson averaged 14.3 points and 5.7 rebounds in his four-year career in Ann Arbor.
After college, Robinson played with Atlanta, New Jersey, Portland, Phoenix, Charlotte and the Los Angeles Lakers over 13-year pro career. He was the 10th overall pick of the 1990 NBA Draft and averaged 7.6 points and 3.5 assists in the NBA.
So, if important pieces of college basketball history are your thing, or you’re just a Michigan fan who wants to remember the day before the Fab Five (though, the Fab Five years were pretty awesome), have at it. I mean, hey, there’s free shipping, after all.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)