Apr 23, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
Things haven’t been going well for former Michigan guard Rumeal Robinson. He’s currently serving a 78-month sentence for multiple financial crimes including bank bribery and wire fraud, and he’s had to pay back a hefty part of his pension as a result. Now, his 1989 national title ring is up for sale.
The seller is a man named Yee Mar, who has owned the ring for several years and originally purchased it from one of Robinson’s friends. He’s asking $89,899.89 on eBay for it, though he’s admitted he doesn’t expect to get that much for it.
It’s a sad thing to see this happen, though some people just don’t care as much about memorabilia as others do. The truly disappointing thing is that Robinson wasn’t some walk-on who watched the title game against Seton Hall unfold. He won the game with two clutch free throws with three seconds left to help the Wolverines’ to their only men’s basketball national title to date.
Robinson averaged 14.3 points and 5.7 rebounds in his four-year career in Ann Arbor.
After college, Robinson played with Atlanta, New Jersey, Portland, Phoenix, Charlotte and the Los Angeles Lakers over 13-year pro career. He was the 10th overall pick of the 1990 NBA Draft and averaged 7.6 points and 3.5 assists in the NBA.
So, if important pieces of college basketball history are your thing, or you’re just a Michigan fan who wants to remember the day before the Fab Five (though, the Fab Five years were pretty awesome), have at it. I mean, hey, there’s free shipping, after all.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- New Mexico’s Craig Neal cuts hair for ‘Locks of Love’ (VIDEO) 0
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)