Apr 23, 2013, 4:04 PM EST
Things haven’t been going well for former Michigan guard Rumeal Robinson. He’s currently serving a 78-month sentence for multiple financial crimes including bank bribery and wire fraud, and he’s had to pay back a hefty part of his pension as a result. Now, his 1989 national title ring is up for sale.
The seller is a man named Yee Mar, who has owned the ring for several years and originally purchased it from one of Robinson’s friends. He’s asking $89,899.89 on eBay for it, though he’s admitted he doesn’t expect to get that much for it.
It’s a sad thing to see this happen, though some people just don’t care as much about memorabilia as others do. The truly disappointing thing is that Robinson wasn’t some walk-on who watched the title game against Seton Hall unfold. He won the game with two clutch free throws with three seconds left to help the Wolverines’ to their only men’s basketball national title to date.
Robinson averaged 14.3 points and 5.7 rebounds in his four-year career in Ann Arbor.
After college, Robinson played with Atlanta, New Jersey, Portland, Phoenix, Charlotte and the Los Angeles Lakers over 13-year pro career. He was the 10th overall pick of the 1990 NBA Draft and averaged 7.6 points and 3.5 assists in the NBA.
So, if important pieces of college basketball history are your thing, or you’re just a Michigan fan who wants to remember the day before the Fab Five (though, the Fab Five years were pretty awesome), have at it. I mean, hey, there’s free shipping, after all.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)