Apr 23, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Anthony Grant was dealt a massive blow on Tuesday afternoon it was announced that Trevor Lacey would be transferring out of the Alabama program.
“It was a family decision to pursue other opportunities,” Lacey said in a statement. “This definitely was not an easy decision to make. It’s been great at Alabama during my two years. It was tough my freshman year coming off surgery and having to work my way back. I wanted to improve during my sophomore season and I thought I did that. I want to thank the coaches and staff, my teammates and all the fans for their support.”
Alabama was expected to be a borderline top 25 team next season. They returned basically everyone of note from last season, and Lacey was expected to team with Trevor Releford to form one of the best backcourts in the SEC.
But the Crimson Tide, who have had issues scoring the ball during Grant’s tenure, are now going to be forced to play without one of their most dangerous scorers. Grant will need Levi Randolph or Rodney Cooper to turn into the kind of presence that can go for 15 points on a given night alongside Releford next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 1
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)