Apr 24, 2013, 3:40 PM EST
Penn State got great news on Wednesday afternoon, as the NCAA granted star guard Tim Frazier a fifth-year of eligibility.
Frazier suffered a torn Achilles tendon on November 18th, PSU’s fourth game of the season. He missed the rest of the year.
“Tim has shown tremendous will, perseverance and leadership as he continues his rehabilitation from a very tough injury,” Penn State coach Patrick Chambers said in a statement. “He is doing very well. We are thrilled for him that he will have the opportunity to finish his career strong and again place himself among the top players in the nation.”
This announcement makes the Nittany Lions an intriguing team heading into this season. Frazier is an all-Big Ten talent, having averaged 18.8 points, 6.2 assists and 2.4 steals in 2011-2012, his last full season. Any team getting a talent like that back is big news.
But what makes it all the better is that Chambers returns essentially everyone from last year’s roster, including perimeter weapons DJ Newbill and Jermaine Marshall. If the Nittany Lions are going to be relevant, they will need Ross Travis and Brandon Taylor to be much improved in the front court. But the bottom line is that with that trio of guards, the Nittany Lions are going to be relevant.
And outside of one out-of-nowhere win over Michigan in late February, Penn State was not at all relevant a season ago.
That’s an improvement. It will be interesting to see how Chambers can build on it.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)