Apr 24, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
Penn State got great news on Wednesday afternoon, as the NCAA granted star guard Tim Frazier a fifth-year of eligibility.
Frazier suffered a torn Achilles tendon on November 18th, PSU’s fourth game of the season. He missed the rest of the year.
“Tim has shown tremendous will, perseverance and leadership as he continues his rehabilitation from a very tough injury,” Penn State coach Patrick Chambers said in a statement. “He is doing very well. We are thrilled for him that he will have the opportunity to finish his career strong and again place himself among the top players in the nation.”
This announcement makes the Nittany Lions an intriguing team heading into this season. Frazier is an all-Big Ten talent, having averaged 18.8 points, 6.2 assists and 2.4 steals in 2011-2012, his last full season. Any team getting a talent like that back is big news.
But what makes it all the better is that Chambers returns essentially everyone from last year’s roster, including perimeter weapons DJ Newbill and Jermaine Marshall. If the Nittany Lions are going to be relevant, they will need Ross Travis and Brandon Taylor to be much improved in the front court. But the bottom line is that with that trio of guards, the Nittany Lions are going to be relevant.
And outside of one out-of-nowhere win over Michigan in late February, Penn State was not at all relevant a season ago.
That’s an improvement. It will be interesting to see how Chambers can build on it.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)