Apr 24, 2013, 3:40 PM EST
Penn State got great news on Wednesday afternoon, as the NCAA granted star guard Tim Frazier a fifth-year of eligibility.
Frazier suffered a torn Achilles tendon on November 18th, PSU’s fourth game of the season. He missed the rest of the year.
“Tim has shown tremendous will, perseverance and leadership as he continues his rehabilitation from a very tough injury,” Penn State coach Patrick Chambers said in a statement. “He is doing very well. We are thrilled for him that he will have the opportunity to finish his career strong and again place himself among the top players in the nation.”
This announcement makes the Nittany Lions an intriguing team heading into this season. Frazier is an all-Big Ten talent, having averaged 18.8 points, 6.2 assists and 2.4 steals in 2011-2012, his last full season. Any team getting a talent like that back is big news.
But what makes it all the better is that Chambers returns essentially everyone from last year’s roster, including perimeter weapons DJ Newbill and Jermaine Marshall. If the Nittany Lions are going to be relevant, they will need Ross Travis and Brandon Taylor to be much improved in the front court. But the bottom line is that with that trio of guards, the Nittany Lions are going to be relevant.
And outside of one out-of-nowhere win over Michigan in late February, Penn State was not at all relevant a season ago.
That’s an improvement. It will be interesting to see how Chambers can build on it.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)