Apr 24, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
Penn State got great news on Wednesday afternoon, as the NCAA granted star guard Tim Frazier a fifth-year of eligibility.
Frazier suffered a torn Achilles tendon on November 18th, PSU’s fourth game of the season. He missed the rest of the year.
“Tim has shown tremendous will, perseverance and leadership as he continues his rehabilitation from a very tough injury,” Penn State coach Patrick Chambers said in a statement. “He is doing very well. We are thrilled for him that he will have the opportunity to finish his career strong and again place himself among the top players in the nation.”
This announcement makes the Nittany Lions an intriguing team heading into this season. Frazier is an all-Big Ten talent, having averaged 18.8 points, 6.2 assists and 2.4 steals in 2011-2012, his last full season. Any team getting a talent like that back is big news.
But what makes it all the better is that Chambers returns essentially everyone from last year’s roster, including perimeter weapons DJ Newbill and Jermaine Marshall. If the Nittany Lions are going to be relevant, they will need Ross Travis and Brandon Taylor to be much improved in the front court. But the bottom line is that with that trio of guards, the Nittany Lions are going to be relevant.
And outside of one out-of-nowhere win over Michigan in late February, Penn State was not at all relevant a season ago.
That’s an improvement. It will be interesting to see how Chambers can build on it.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum led the way for the Americans.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Cal’s name seems to always pop up in the NBA.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
It will be expanded into a full-length movie.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s fun to watch Tacko Fall dominate high school competition.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Maverick Rowan is reportedly focused on three schools.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
UCF is losing its third-leading scorer from last season to transfer.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Xavier landed a three-star forward on Monday.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg returned to Hilton Coliseum to give one final pre-game speech before a fantasy camp.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
It should not be a surprise who the best player from this class ended up being.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tony Hawk approves this court.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Ryan has never finished below fourth in the Big Ten.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Mullin has completely turned over the St. John’s roster.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Knight’s most famous outburst may be lost to history.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
There are 22 total players participating in the trials.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Steve Alford now has a pair of 2017 commitments.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
This is a very well thought-out statement from Martin.
Jun 28, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
Johnny Jones has done an excellent job of recruiting his state in recent years.
Jun 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
South Florida brought in an experienced guard who can contribute after sitting out a transfer season.
Jun 28, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Maryland transfer Robert Carter has worked on his conditioning since arriving from Georgia Tech.
Jun 28, 2015, 1:19 PM EDT
The USA U19 team is off to a 2-0 start at the FIBA World Championships.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 1
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)