Apr 24, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
In news that came as a surprise to many USC 7-footer Dewayne Dedmon announced his intentions to forego his final season of eligibility to enter the 2013 NBA Draft.
Dedmon, who averaged 6.7 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per contest for the Trojans this season, played in 31 of USC’s 32 games this season after missing the latter portion of the 2011-12 campaign due to a knee injury.
“It’s just my time to chase my dream and go to the NBA,” said Dedmon in a statement released by the school. “I had a great time at USC and it was a good experience. I had some ups and downs and learned a lot and believe it is best for me to turn professional at this time.
“I wish USC, Andy Enfield and all my teammates all the best moving forward. Andy is a good guy and I believe he will do great things here.”
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Dedmon definitely has upside, as he’s an athletic big man who also managed to lead USC in steals last season. But he’s extremely raw offensively, and if an NBA franchise were to roll the dice and select him they would need to be willing (and able) to be patient when it comes to his development.
Dedmon was suspended for USC’s Pac-12 tournament loss to Utah due to what was defined as a violation of team rules, shortly after allegations of his role in an altercation during the team’s road trip to Washington State surfaced.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)