Apr 24, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Two weeks ago, just a couple of days after Michigan lost to Louisville in the national title game, this picture started to make it’s way around twitter:
Yes, that is Gary Harris, starting two guard for Michigan State, wearing a ‘Maize Rage’ t-shirt which, quite obviously, is from Michigan.
Nick Baumgardner of MLive.com got to the bottom of it and, well, it’s pretty funny. You see, Harris played high school ball with a kid named Zak Irvin, another five-star recruit that is a year younger than Harris. Irvin, who also won the Indiana Mr. Basketball award, is headed to Michigan. The two just so happen to be best friends since the third grade, according to Irvin. And as childhood best friends often do, Harris and Irvin made a friendly wager:
During their final year as high school teammates, Irvin and Harris engaged in a friendly bet. If Michigan was able to knock off MSU in Ann Arbor, Harris would have to wear a Michigan T-shirt to school. And, if the Spartans won, Irvin would be sporting Green.
The Wolverines won that game, and the photo of Harris wearing a “Maize Rage” T-shirt eventually found its way to Twitter earlier this month — something Irvin admittedly enjoyed.
“He lost,” Irvin recalled with a chuckle.
The picture might be old, but it’s still hilarious.
And thanks to Baumgardner’s dogged investigative work, we have an answer to the mystery of the Gary Harris-in-a-Michigan-shirt mystery.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (8)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)