Apr 24, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Wyoming made a nice pickup on Tuesday afternoon, as they added North Florida transfer Jerron Granberry.
Granberry is a 6-foot-5 wing from Miami that never averaged less than 9.0 points for the Ospreys. He was a four-year starter and the program’s first 1,000 point scorer since making the move to Division I.
But he was also a college kid that lost his father, which is why Granberry left the UNF team in November of last season. His dad battled dementia for years, and when he finally passed, it was too much for Granberry to take.
Since he had only played in five games as a senior, Granberry was able to get another year of eligibility. And since he graduated from UNF, he is able to transfer without having to sit out a season. That’s where Wyoming came into the picture. Larry Shyatt, in his second head coaching stint at Wyoming, had Granberry’s head coach at UNF, Matthew Driscoll, on staff in the late ’90s.
“Jerron is an individual the Shyatt family has followed for close to four years,” Shyatt said. “I’ve had the chance to follow his basketball career at UNF since Jeremy [Shyatt] was there two years ago under my former assistant Matthew Driscoll, including seeing him compete and practice. Jerron’s story means a lot more to me personally because of the loss of his father and that rang true with all of our staff. We know Jerron can help the Wyoming basketball program, but we also hope we can help him and his family through a tough time.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)