Apr 24, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Wyoming made a nice pickup on Tuesday afternoon, as they added North Florida transfer Jerron Granberry.
Granberry is a 6-foot-5 wing from Miami that never averaged less than 9.0 points for the Ospreys. He was a four-year starter and the program’s first 1,000 point scorer since making the move to Division I.
But he was also a college kid that lost his father, which is why Granberry left the UNF team in November of last season. His dad battled dementia for years, and when he finally passed, it was too much for Granberry to take.
Since he had only played in five games as a senior, Granberry was able to get another year of eligibility. And since he graduated from UNF, he is able to transfer without having to sit out a season. That’s where Wyoming came into the picture. Larry Shyatt, in his second head coaching stint at Wyoming, had Granberry’s head coach at UNF, Matthew Driscoll, on staff in the late ’90s.
“Jerron is an individual the Shyatt family has followed for close to four years,” Shyatt said. “I’ve had the chance to follow his basketball career at UNF since Jeremy [Shyatt] was there two years ago under my former assistant Matthew Driscoll, including seeing him compete and practice. Jerron’s story means a lot more to me personally because of the loss of his father and that rang true with all of our staff. We know Jerron can help the Wyoming basketball program, but we also hope we can help him and his family through a tough time.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)