Apr 24, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Wyoming made a nice pickup on Tuesday afternoon, as they added North Florida transfer Jerron Granberry.
Granberry is a 6-foot-5 wing from Miami that never averaged less than 9.0 points for the Ospreys. He was a four-year starter and the program’s first 1,000 point scorer since making the move to Division I.
But he was also a college kid that lost his father, which is why Granberry left the UNF team in November of last season. His dad battled dementia for years, and when he finally passed, it was too much for Granberry to take.
Since he had only played in five games as a senior, Granberry was able to get another year of eligibility. And since he graduated from UNF, he is able to transfer without having to sit out a season. That’s where Wyoming came into the picture. Larry Shyatt, in his second head coaching stint at Wyoming, had Granberry’s head coach at UNF, Matthew Driscoll, on staff in the late ’90s.
“Jerron is an individual the Shyatt family has followed for close to four years,” Shyatt said. “I’ve had the chance to follow his basketball career at UNF since Jeremy [Shyatt] was there two years ago under my former assistant Matthew Driscoll, including seeing him compete and practice. Jerron’s story means a lot more to me personally because of the loss of his father and that rang true with all of our staff. We know Jerron can help the Wyoming basketball program, but we also hope we can help him and his family through a tough time.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)