Apr 24, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Wyoming made a nice pickup on Tuesday afternoon, as they added North Florida transfer Jerron Granberry.
Granberry is a 6-foot-5 wing from Miami that never averaged less than 9.0 points for the Ospreys. He was a four-year starter and the program’s first 1,000 point scorer since making the move to Division I.
But he was also a college kid that lost his father, which is why Granberry left the UNF team in November of last season. His dad battled dementia for years, and when he finally passed, it was too much for Granberry to take.
Since he had only played in five games as a senior, Granberry was able to get another year of eligibility. And since he graduated from UNF, he is able to transfer without having to sit out a season. That’s where Wyoming came into the picture. Larry Shyatt, in his second head coaching stint at Wyoming, had Granberry’s head coach at UNF, Matthew Driscoll, on staff in the late ’90s.
“Jerron is an individual the Shyatt family has followed for close to four years,” Shyatt said. “I’ve had the chance to follow his basketball career at UNF since Jeremy [Shyatt] was there two years ago under my former assistant Matthew Driscoll, including seeing him compete and practice. Jerron’s story means a lot more to me personally because of the loss of his father and that rang true with all of our staff. We know Jerron can help the Wyoming basketball program, but we also hope we can help him and his family through a tough time.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)