Apr 24, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Wyoming made a nice pickup on Tuesday afternoon, as they added North Florida transfer Jerron Granberry.
Granberry is a 6-foot-5 wing from Miami that never averaged less than 9.0 points for the Ospreys. He was a four-year starter and the program’s first 1,000 point scorer since making the move to Division I.
But he was also a college kid that lost his father, which is why Granberry left the UNF team in November of last season. His dad battled dementia for years, and when he finally passed, it was too much for Granberry to take.
Since he had only played in five games as a senior, Granberry was able to get another year of eligibility. And since he graduated from UNF, he is able to transfer without having to sit out a season. That’s where Wyoming came into the picture. Larry Shyatt, in his second head coaching stint at Wyoming, had Granberry’s head coach at UNF, Matthew Driscoll, on staff in the late ’90s.
“Jerron is an individual the Shyatt family has followed for close to four years,” Shyatt said. “I’ve had the chance to follow his basketball career at UNF since Jeremy [Shyatt] was there two years ago under my former assistant Matthew Driscoll, including seeing him compete and practice. Jerron’s story means a lot more to me personally because of the loss of his father and that rang true with all of our staff. We know Jerron can help the Wyoming basketball program, but we also hope we can help him and his family through a tough time.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)