Apr 25, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Creighton wasn’t the only basketball program to receive good news on Thursday.
Baylor power forward Cory Jefferson, who emerged as one of the most improved players in the Big 12 this past season, announced his decision to return to school for his senior season in a press conference Thursday afternoon.
Jefferson didn’t see much playing time during his first two seasons in Waco, playing just 4.6 minutes per game as a freshman and 10.5 minutes per game as a redshirt sophomore on a team that reached the Elite 8.
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
But the mass exodus of big men following that run opened the door for Jefferson to earn more opportunities and he took advantage, averaging 13.3 points (61.0% FG), 8.0 rebounds and 1.9 blocked shots per game for a team that won the Postseason NIT.
With Baylor still waiting on an NBA Draft decision from 7-footer Isaiah Austin and having to account for the loss of veteran guards Pierre Jackson and A.J. Walton, Jefferson’s decision to return is welcome news to say the least.
With veterans such as Jefferson and Brady Heslip being joined by a freshman class that features wing Ishmail Wainright and center Dominic Woodson, Baylor’s chances of returning to the NCAA tournament may ultimately depend on what happens at point guard.
In addition to returnees Gary Franklin and L.J. Rose, head coach Scott Drew inked junior college transfer Kenny Chery to help account for the departure of one of the Big 12’s best point guards in Jackson. If one of those three can handle the responsibilities, Baylor should move back into the field of 68 in 2014.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)