Apr 25, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Another year of Dougie McBuckets!
Creighton star Doug McDermott announced on Thursday that he would be returning to school for his senior season. Coming off of a first-team all-american season in 2012-2013, McDermott will immediately vault to the top of the National Player of the Year contender list and makes the Bluejays a threat to contend in the new Big East.
McDermott had been back and forth on the decision over the last few weeks, but he decided, in the end, that returning to school would be the best decision.
“If I’m going to play in the NBA, I’m going to play this year or next year,” McDermott told CBSSports.com. “I’m not buying into the fact that I had to go this year because the draft was considered weaker. [Kyle Korver] told me that I’m going to have to beat out guys whether I’m a first-rounder or I wind up going in the second round.”
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Creighton will lose both Gregory Echenique and Grant Gibbs, two indispensable players that were on the roster last season. Both will be big blows, as Echenique was the kind of big-bodied center that allowed the Bluejays to match up with some of the power conference teams, while Gibbs was a playmaker on the wing that created open looks from three for his teammates.
But McDermott is good enough that he will make Creighton a contender in whatever league that they play in.
Don’t be surprised if the Bluejays make quite a bit of noise in the new Big East next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)