Apr 25, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Another year of Dougie McBuckets!
Creighton star Doug McDermott announced on Thursday that he would be returning to school for his senior season. Coming off of a first-team all-american season in 2012-2013, McDermott will immediately vault to the top of the National Player of the Year contender list and makes the Bluejays a threat to contend in the new Big East.
McDermott had been back and forth on the decision over the last few weeks, but he decided, in the end, that returning to school would be the best decision.
“If I’m going to play in the NBA, I’m going to play this year or next year,” McDermott told CBSSports.com. “I’m not buying into the fact that I had to go this year because the draft was considered weaker. [Kyle Korver] told me that I’m going to have to beat out guys whether I’m a first-rounder or I wind up going in the second round.”
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Creighton will lose both Gregory Echenique and Grant Gibbs, two indispensable players that were on the roster last season. Both will be big blows, as Echenique was the kind of big-bodied center that allowed the Bluejays to match up with some of the power conference teams, while Gibbs was a playmaker on the wing that created open looks from three for his teammates.
But McDermott is good enough that he will make Creighton a contender in whatever league that they play in.
Don’t be surprised if the Bluejays make quite a bit of noise in the new Big East next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)