Apr 25, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Eastern Michigan forward Glenn Bryant was arraigned on charges of assault by strangulation and aggravated domestic violence after being accused of choking his girlfriend during an argument between the two on Monday.
The assault by strangulation charge is a felony, while the domestic violence charge is a misdemeanor.
The 19-year-old woman called police and met investigators at the Peninsular Place manager’s office Monday afternoon after the alleged assault. [Ypsilanti PD Sgt. Tom] Eberts said the woman told police the argument was about “nothing in particular” and the couple, who had been dating for one year, argues frequently.
“During the argument, the victim claims the suspect choked her,” Eberts said.
Bryant was suspended by EMU following the arraignment, and will remain suspended “until the charges are dropped, dismissed or otherwise resolved” according to school officials.
“Eastern Michigan University Athletics takes this matter very seriously and is continuing to gather information about the incident from the police and the prosecutor’s office. The conduct of our student-athletes is of the utmost importance to Eastern Michigan,” athletic director Melody Reifel-Werner said in a statement released by the school.
“Following our Student-Athlete Discipline Policy, Bryant will be automatically suspended as the policy states, ‘until the charges are dropped, dismissed or otherwise resolved.’ In addition, student athletes also are subject to the University’s Student Code of Conduct, administered by Eastern’s Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.”
In his first season at EMU, Bryant averaged 10.6 points and 4.5 rebounds per contest. Bryant sat out the 2011-12 season after spending the first two seasons of his college career at Arkansas, where he didn’t play more than 13 minutes per game in either campaign.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)