Apr 25, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Eastern Michigan forward Glenn Bryant was arraigned on charges of assault by strangulation and aggravated domestic violence after being accused of choking his girlfriend during an argument between the two on Monday.
The assault by strangulation charge is a felony, while the domestic violence charge is a misdemeanor.
The 19-year-old woman called police and met investigators at the Peninsular Place manager’s office Monday afternoon after the alleged assault. [Ypsilanti PD Sgt. Tom] Eberts said the woman told police the argument was about “nothing in particular” and the couple, who had been dating for one year, argues frequently.
“During the argument, the victim claims the suspect choked her,” Eberts said.
Bryant was suspended by EMU following the arraignment, and will remain suspended “until the charges are dropped, dismissed or otherwise resolved” according to school officials.
“Eastern Michigan University Athletics takes this matter very seriously and is continuing to gather information about the incident from the police and the prosecutor’s office. The conduct of our student-athletes is of the utmost importance to Eastern Michigan,” athletic director Melody Reifel-Werner said in a statement released by the school.
“Following our Student-Athlete Discipline Policy, Bryant will be automatically suspended as the policy states, ‘until the charges are dropped, dismissed or otherwise resolved.’ In addition, student athletes also are subject to the University’s Student Code of Conduct, administered by Eastern’s Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.”
In his first season at EMU, Bryant averaged 10.6 points and 4.5 rebounds per contest. Bryant sat out the 2011-12 season after spending the first two seasons of his college career at Arkansas, where he didn’t play more than 13 minutes per game in either campaign.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)