Apr 25, 2013, 7:34 PM EST
After leading the La Salle basketball program to its first Sweet 16 appearance since 1955, head coach Dr. John Giannini was in line to receive a reward from the school in the form of a contract extension.
On Thursday the school announced that an agreement has been reached on a multi-year extension. Since receiving his first extension in 2010, Dr. Giannini has led La Salle to a record of 60-31 with the program tallying consecutive 20-win seasons for the first time since 1990-91.
“This past season was an outstanding one for our men’s basketball team, reaching the Sweet 16 and ending the season with a national ranking,” athletic director Dr. Tom Brennan said in a statement released by the school. “More importantly, Dr. John has built a program on and off the court that gives everyone associated with La Salle great pride.
“John is a proponent of the student-athlete experience, which is very important at La Salle. We are proud to have him leading our program and look forward to his continued success.”
La Salle won 24 games in 2012-13, the program’s highest win total since the 1989-90 season, and Dr. Giannini was named Big 5 Coach of the Year. The Explorers, who lost to Final Four participant Wichita State in the West region semifinals, finished the season ranked 24th in the AP poll.
La Salle loses a very important piece in the form of leading scorer Ramon Galloway. But with guards Tyreek Duren and Ty Garland and forwards Jerrell Wright and Steve Zack all expected to return, the Explorers should be one of the better teams in the Atlantic 10 next season.
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)