Apr 25, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Western Michigan coaches got quite a shock on Tuesday when Darius Paul, a 6-foot-8 freshman that averaged 10.4 points and 5.7 boards en route to the MAC Freshman of the Year award, told the staff that he was transferring out of the program.
“I had no idea this was coming. Darius came to me (Monday) afternoon and we sat down and had a long visit, then he told me what was on my mind,” Broncos coach Steve Hawkins told MLive.com. Paul had even signed a lease for an apartment in Kalamazoo for the 2013-2014 school year.
Paul, an Illinois native and the younger brother of former Illini star Brandon Paul, hinted at “recent events” convincing him to transfer in that MLive.com story, and a follow-up may bring to light exactly what the motivating factor was.
“There are four Illinois schools that have reached out this morning. I’m going to leave it at that,” his mother, Lynda, told MLive.com. She continued:
“What if ESPN calls you? You get your resume ready and based on your production, based on your preparation, you feel like you’re ready.”
“I’m just telling all the people who call, we’re looking for a high-major program where Darius can be an elite player; where he’ll have an opportunity to be an elite player,” Lynda Paul said. “He’s 6-9, 225 (pounds); he’s got 4 or 5 percent body fat. He’s already got an elite body. He’s just looking for a place to be an elite player.”
Darius looks like he’s heading to a bigger program.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)