Apr 25, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Kansas has reportedly added a body to its stable of front court players, as JayhawkSlant.com reported on Thursday that 6-10 center Hunter Mickelson will be transferring to the school.
Mickelson arrives in Lawrence after playing two seasons at Arkansas, where he averaged 5.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocked shots per contest. Last Wednesday Mickelson was granted a release from his scholarship by Arkansas, which will add a pair of Top 50 big men in Bobby Portis and Moses Kingsley in the fall.
Mickelson averaged seven points per game over Arkansas’ first 22 contests but saw his role diminish during the latter portion of the season, failing to score more than four points in any of the Razorbacks’ final ten games and averaging 11 minutes per contest.
Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson went small to better fit his high-paced system, and with Portis and Kingsley joining the program the combination didn’t bode well for Mickelson in regards to available minutes next season.
Mickelson will have two seasons of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2013-14 campaign, leaving the Jayhawks to rely on young players such as Perry Ellis, Jamari Traylor and Landen Lucas (who redshirted last season).
Kansas also welcomes highly-touted center Joel Embiid as part of its five-member recruiting class, and multiple reports have head coach Bill Self among those in pursuit of a commitment from former Memphis big man Tarik Black. Black would be eligible to play immediately.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)