Apr 25, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Kansas has reportedly added a body to its stable of front court players, as JayhawkSlant.com reported on Thursday that 6-10 center Hunter Mickelson will be transferring to the school.
Mickelson arrives in Lawrence after playing two seasons at Arkansas, where he averaged 5.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocked shots per contest. Last Wednesday Mickelson was granted a release from his scholarship by Arkansas, which will add a pair of Top 50 big men in Bobby Portis and Moses Kingsley in the fall.
Mickelson averaged seven points per game over Arkansas’ first 22 contests but saw his role diminish during the latter portion of the season, failing to score more than four points in any of the Razorbacks’ final ten games and averaging 11 minutes per contest.
Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson went small to better fit his high-paced system, and with Portis and Kingsley joining the program the combination didn’t bode well for Mickelson in regards to available minutes next season.
Mickelson will have two seasons of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2013-14 campaign, leaving the Jayhawks to rely on young players such as Perry Ellis, Jamari Traylor and Landen Lucas (who redshirted last season).
Kansas also welcomes highly-touted center Joel Embiid as part of its five-member recruiting class, and multiple reports have head coach Bill Self among those in pursuit of a commitment from former Memphis big man Tarik Black. Black would be eligible to play immediately.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 7
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 4
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)