Apr 25, 2013, 4:10 PM EST
Kansas has reportedly added a body to its stable of front court players, as JayhawkSlant.com reported on Thursday that 6-10 center Hunter Mickelson will be transferring to the school.
Mickelson arrives in Lawrence after playing two seasons at Arkansas, where he averaged 5.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocked shots per contest. Last Wednesday Mickelson was granted a release from his scholarship by Arkansas, which will add a pair of Top 50 big men in Bobby Portis and Moses Kingsley in the fall.
Mickelson averaged seven points per game over Arkansas’ first 22 contests but saw his role diminish during the latter portion of the season, failing to score more than four points in any of the Razorbacks’ final ten games and averaging 11 minutes per contest.
Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson went small to better fit his high-paced system, and with Portis and Kingsley joining the program the combination didn’t bode well for Mickelson in regards to available minutes next season.
Mickelson will have two seasons of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2013-14 campaign, leaving the Jayhawks to rely on young players such as Perry Ellis, Jamari Traylor and Landen Lucas (who redshirted last season).
Kansas also welcomes highly-touted center Joel Embiid as part of its five-member recruiting class, and multiple reports have head coach Bill Self among those in pursuit of a commitment from former Memphis big man Tarik Black. Black would be eligible to play immediately.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)