Apr 25, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
On April 8 former UNLV head coach received the honor that many felt was overdue, as he was officially named a member of the 2013 Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame class. And it looks as if “Tark the Shark” will be the recipient of another honor in the near future.
According to a report from the Las Vegas Sun, UNLV officials are expected to announce plans to construct a statue of the program’s greatest coach on Wednesday.
“We are spearheading an effort to work on a project honoring coach Tarkanian,” Jim Ratigan, executive director of the UNLV Alumni Association, said. “We’re still working on all the details.”
Sources confirmed that would include a statue located on the concourse outside of the Mack, Cox Pavilion and Mendenhall Center. It’s part of a larger project, the Jerry Tarkanian Legacy Project, that will also reportedly include a scholarship fund in Tarkanian’s name.
In 19 seasons at UNLV, Tarkanian won 509 games and led the program to four Final Four appearances and a national title in 1990. The floor at Thomas & Mack Center is named in his honor, and the proposed statue would be another deserved honor.
Tarkanian and the other 11 members of the 2013 Hall of Fame class will be inducted in a ceremony in Springfield, Mass. on September 8.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)