Apr 25, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
On April 8 former UNLV head coach received the honor that many felt was overdue, as he was officially named a member of the 2013 Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame class. And it looks as if “Tark the Shark” will be the recipient of another honor in the near future.
According to a report from the Las Vegas Sun, UNLV officials are expected to announce plans to construct a statue of the program’s greatest coach on Wednesday.
“We are spearheading an effort to work on a project honoring coach Tarkanian,” Jim Ratigan, executive director of the UNLV Alumni Association, said. “We’re still working on all the details.”
Sources confirmed that would include a statue located on the concourse outside of the Mack, Cox Pavilion and Mendenhall Center. It’s part of a larger project, the Jerry Tarkanian Legacy Project, that will also reportedly include a scholarship fund in Tarkanian’s name.
In 19 seasons at UNLV, Tarkanian won 509 games and led the program to four Final Four appearances and a national title in 1990. The floor at Thomas & Mack Center is named in his honor, and the proposed statue would be another deserved honor.
Tarkanian and the other 11 members of the 2013 Hall of Fame class will be inducted in a ceremony in Springfield, Mass. on September 8.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- NCAA twitter account effortlessly trolls MLB during playoff opener (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)