Apr 26, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, UNC Asheville will introduce associate head coach Nick McDevitt as the program’s new head coach Friday afternoon.
McDevitt took over as interim head coach after Eddie Biedenbach stepped down to join Buzz Peterson’s staff at UNC Wilmington.
In 17 seasons at UNC Asheville Biedenbach won a school-record 266 games and led the Bulldogs to three NCAA tournament appearances, with the most recent coming in 2012.
McDevitt was an assistant on Biedenbach’s staff for 12 seasons before being promoted to interim head coach, playing an integral role in the Bulldogs’ recent run of success.
“Nick has done an outstanding job as an assistant coach,” stated Biedenbach in McDevitt’s bio before the start of the 2012-13 season. “He is a big reason for the success. He has a good rapport with our players. Nick really knows the game well and is a key part of our program. He works hard in every facet of the program, and I’m so happy he’s on our staff.”
Last season the Bulldogs finished with a 16-16 record, going 10-6 in Big South play before being upset by Longwood in the first round of the Big South conference tournament.
Leading scorer and rebounder Jeremy Atkinson (17.8 ppg, 7.1 rpg) will graduate but guards Keith Hornsby (15.0 ppg, 3.1 apg) and Trent Meyer (9.7 ppg, 3.9 apg), forward Will Weeks (9.0 ppg, 5.4 rpg) and center D.J. Cunningham (7.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg) all return next season.
The amount of talent returning will help the Bulldogs account for the loss of Atkinson, making UNC Asheville a contender in the Big South.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)