Apr 26, 2013, 11:38 AM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, UNC Asheville will introduce associate head coach Nick McDevitt as the program’s new head coach Friday afternoon.
McDevitt took over as interim head coach after Eddie Biedenbach stepped down to join Buzz Peterson’s staff at UNC Wilmington.
In 17 seasons at UNC Asheville Biedenbach won a school-record 266 games and led the Bulldogs to three NCAA tournament appearances, with the most recent coming in 2012.
McDevitt was an assistant on Biedenbach’s staff for 12 seasons before being promoted to interim head coach, playing an integral role in the Bulldogs’ recent run of success.
“Nick has done an outstanding job as an assistant coach,” stated Biedenbach in McDevitt’s bio before the start of the 2012-13 season. “He is a big reason for the success. He has a good rapport with our players. Nick really knows the game well and is a key part of our program. He works hard in every facet of the program, and I’m so happy he’s on our staff.”
Last season the Bulldogs finished with a 16-16 record, going 10-6 in Big South play before being upset by Longwood in the first round of the Big South conference tournament.
Leading scorer and rebounder Jeremy Atkinson (17.8 ppg, 7.1 rpg) will graduate but guards Keith Hornsby (15.0 ppg, 3.1 apg) and Trent Meyer (9.7 ppg, 3.9 apg), forward Will Weeks (9.0 ppg, 5.4 rpg) and center D.J. Cunningham (7.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg) all return next season.
The amount of talent returning will help the Bulldogs account for the loss of Atkinson, making UNC Asheville a contender in the Big South.
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)