Apr 27, 2013, 5:23 PM EST
CBS Detroit is reporting that Eastern Michigan forward Glenn Bryant has been charged with assault and will be suspended from the team indefinitely.
The 22-year-old Bryant, who transferred to the Eagles from Arkansas, is accused of choking his 19-year-old girlfriend during an argument at an off-campus apartment. He was arrested on Monday, and is scheduled to appear before the court for preliminary examination on May 7.
The school is taking the matter very seriously, according to the published report.
Interim Athletic Director Melody Reifel Werner said in a statement that Bryant’s suspension under the school’s student-athlete discipline policy will continue “until the charges are dropped, dismissed or otherwise resolved.”
Bryant was an afterthought in his first two seasons at Arkansas, and he left the school after a sophomore season that saw him average 12.9 minutes and 4.1 points per game. After sitting out his transfer season, he found much more playing time in Ypsilanti, averaging 10.6 points per game and just over 27 minutes of floor time.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)