Apr 27, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
The Class of 2013 is waiting to hear where the nation’s top recruit Andrew Wiggins. Once the 6-foot-7 Canadian prospect picks between Florida State, Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina, recruiting attention will shift to the Class of 2014.
Tyus Jones (Apple Valley High/Apple Valley, Minn.) and Jahlil Okafor (Whitney Young/Chicago, Ill.) are arguably the top two juniors in the country, and have made it clear they would like to play together at the next level.
“We’re very serious about it,” Okafor told Ben Roberts of the Herald-Leader on Saturday.
The 6-foot-11 center went as far to tell the Hearld-Leader it was a “99.9″ percent chance they would attend the same school starting in the fall of 2014. If that were the case, Okafor would be looking at the same seven schools Jones is, who trimmed his list in March. Baylor, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Ohio State are the teams that remain in contention for the 6-foot-1 point guard.
But it may not be only Jones and Okafor teaming up. According to Dave Telep of ESPN, a college coach said Jones is also making a pitch to 6-foot-8 forward Cliff Alexander (Curie High/Chicago, Ill.).
“Tyus is the ring leader,” one college coach told ESPN. “They all want to play with him.”
Telep later reported that Jones denied anything to do with recruiting Alexander, though, a top guard Justise Winslow (Saint John’s High/Houston, Texas) is also been rumored to be in the recruiting package with Jones and Okafor.
Although many factors could arise over the next year, it looks as if the Class of 2014 could see top-ranked talent team up at one school, just like Kentucky’s eight-man incoming class that includes six of Rivals’ top-20 players.
The Herald-Leader also reported that Jones and Okafor begin their co-recruitment when they take an official visit to Baylor on Aug. 31.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)