Apr 27, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
The Class of 2013 is waiting to hear where the nation’s top recruit Andrew Wiggins. Once the 6-foot-7 Canadian prospect picks between Florida State, Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina, recruiting attention will shift to the Class of 2014.
Tyus Jones (Apple Valley High/Apple Valley, Minn.) and Jahlil Okafor (Whitney Young/Chicago, Ill.) are arguably the top two juniors in the country, and have made it clear they would like to play together at the next level.
“We’re very serious about it,” Okafor told Ben Roberts of the Herald-Leader on Saturday.
The 6-foot-11 center went as far to tell the Hearld-Leader it was a “99.9” percent chance they would attend the same school starting in the fall of 2014. If that were the case, Okafor would be looking at the same seven schools Jones is, who trimmed his list in March. Baylor, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Ohio State are the teams that remain in contention for the 6-foot-1 point guard.
But it may not be only Jones and Okafor teaming up. According to Dave Telep of ESPN, a college coach said Jones is also making a pitch to 6-foot-8 forward Cliff Alexander (Curie High/Chicago, Ill.).
“Tyus is the ring leader,” one college coach told ESPN. “They all want to play with him.”
Telep later reported that Jones denied anything to do with recruiting Alexander, though, a top guard Justise Winslow (Saint John’s High/Houston, Texas) is also been rumored to be in the recruiting package with Jones and Okafor.
Although many factors could arise over the next year, it looks as if the Class of 2014 could see top-ranked talent team up at one school, just like Kentucky’s eight-man incoming class that includes six of Rivals’ top-20 players.
The Herald-Leader also reported that Jones and Okafor begin their co-recruitment when they take an official visit to Baylor on Aug. 31.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)