Apr 28, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Late on Saturday night, Detroit announced that star point guard Ray McCallum would be forgoing his final year of eligibility and entering his name into the NBA Draft.
“I want to thank the University of Detroit Mercy, my coaching staff and my teammates. I’ve enjoyed my three years with them,” McCallum said in a statement released by the school. “It has been very special playing for my father and helping to build the basketball program to a championship level.”
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
“It has been an outstanding experience coaching Ray. I am proud to see his growth over the last three years,” Detroit head coach Ray McCallum, father of the younger McCallum, said. “As his coach and father I am supporting him in his pursuit to becoming a professional basketball player.”
McCallum, the 2013 Horizon League Player of the Year, averaged 18.9 points, 4.5 assists and 1.9 steals as a junior. He’s ranked as the 57th best draft prospect according to Draft Express.
There are three players left to make a decision: Michigan State’s Adreian Payne, Colorado’s Andre Roberson and Baylor’s Isaiah Austin. The deadline to declare for the draft is midnight on Sunday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)