Apr 28, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
The NBA Draft is still two months away, but the Ole Miss basketball team has already produced one professional athlete from this year’s basketball team.
Power forward Murphy Holloway, the program’s all-time leading rebounder, signed with the Balitmore Ravens on Saturday after being bypassed in all seven round of the NFL Draft, which concluded on Saturday.
— Murphy Holloway (@Murphys_Law31) April 27, 2013
Holloway averaged 14.5 points and 9.7 boards as a senior, but 6-foot-6 power forwards don’t usually have long NFL careers. While Holloway may not look like an overbearing physical presence on a football field, his 240 lb frame should allow him to have a chance to make an impact as a tight end in the NFL.
Undersized power forwards have become one of the best places for NFL teams to find tight ends. Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez have all had very successful NFL careers after playing college hoops. Holloway is looking to follow in their footsteps.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)