Apr 28, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
The NBA Draft is still two months away, but the Ole Miss basketball team has already produced one professional athlete from this year’s basketball team.
Power forward Murphy Holloway, the program’s all-time leading rebounder, signed with the Balitmore Ravens on Saturday after being bypassed in all seven round of the NFL Draft, which concluded on Saturday.
— Murphy Holloway (@Murphys_Law31) April 27, 2013
Holloway averaged 14.5 points and 9.7 boards as a senior, but 6-foot-6 power forwards don’t usually have long NFL careers. While Holloway may not look like an overbearing physical presence on a football field, his 240 lb frame should allow him to have a chance to make an impact as a tight end in the NFL.
Undersized power forwards have become one of the best places for NFL teams to find tight ends. Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez have all had very successful NFL careers after playing college hoops. Holloway is looking to follow in their footsteps.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)