Apr 28, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
The NBA Draft is still two months away, but the Ole Miss basketball team has already produced one professional athlete from this year’s basketball team.
Power forward Murphy Holloway, the program’s all-time leading rebounder, signed with the Balitmore Ravens on Saturday after being bypassed in all seven round of the NFL Draft, which concluded on Saturday.
— Murphy Holloway (@Murphys_Law31) April 27, 2013
Holloway averaged 14.5 points and 9.7 boards as a senior, but 6-foot-6 power forwards don’t usually have long NFL careers. While Holloway may not look like an overbearing physical presence on a football field, his 240 lb frame should allow him to have a chance to make an impact as a tight end in the NFL.
Undersized power forwards have become one of the best places for NFL teams to find tight ends. Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez have all had very successful NFL careers after playing college hoops. Holloway is looking to follow in their footsteps.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)