Apr 28, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
The NBA Draft is still two months away, but the Ole Miss basketball team has already produced one professional athlete from this year’s basketball team.
Power forward Murphy Holloway, the program’s all-time leading rebounder, signed with the Balitmore Ravens on Saturday after being bypassed in all seven round of the NFL Draft, which concluded on Saturday.
— Murphy Holloway (@Murphys_Law31) April 27, 2013
Holloway averaged 14.5 points and 9.7 boards as a senior, but 6-foot-6 power forwards don’t usually have long NFL careers. While Holloway may not look like an overbearing physical presence on a football field, his 240 lb frame should allow him to have a chance to make an impact as a tight end in the NFL.
Undersized power forwards have become one of the best places for NFL teams to find tight ends. Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez have all had very successful NFL careers after playing college hoops. Holloway is looking to follow in their footsteps.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)