Apr 29, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
Jon Scheyer is headed back to Duke.
The program announced that the former All-American and national champion will return to the Blue Devils as a special assistant. Scheyer was a guard for coach Mike Krzyzewski’s team from 2006-10.
“I am extremely fortunate to be able to come back to Duke,” Scheyer said in a statement. “It is a tremendous honor to be on Coach K’s staff and it is something I will cherish. I want to continue to learn from the entire staff and bring whatever I can to help the program.”
Scheyer returns to the program as former long-time assistant, former player and fellow Northbrook, Ill. native Chris Collins leaves for the head job at Northwestern. Nate James, whom Scheyer will take over for, was promoted to Collins’ former spot on the bench earlier this month. Scheyer will serve a lot of roles in his position, from helping game-plan to breaking down film (and I’m sure he’ll be getting the coffee as well.)
A first team All-ACC selection as a senior, Scheyer has spent the last three years playing professionally overseas in Israel and the Canary Islands, as well as in the NBDL.
Scheyer scored 2,077 points as a Blue Devil, teaming with Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler and Lance Thomas to win the school’s fourth national title as a senior in 2010.
Krzyzewski loves to keep it all in the Duke family when it comes to his staff, obviously, with former players like Collins, Steve Wojciechowski, Jason Capel, Jay Bilas and others making stops at his side over the years. Looks like Scheyer is no different.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)