Apr 29, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Jon Scheyer is headed back to Duke.
The program announced that the former All-American and national champion will return to the Blue Devils as a special assistant. Scheyer was a guard for coach Mike Krzyzewski’s team from 2006-10.
“I am extremely fortunate to be able to come back to Duke,” Scheyer said in a statement. “It is a tremendous honor to be on Coach K’s staff and it is something I will cherish. I want to continue to learn from the entire staff and bring whatever I can to help the program.”
Scheyer returns to the program as former long-time assistant, former player and fellow Northbrook, Ill. native Chris Collins leaves for the head job at Northwestern. Nate James, whom Scheyer will take over for, was promoted to Collins’ former spot on the bench earlier this month. Scheyer will serve a lot of roles in his position, from helping game-plan to breaking down film (and I’m sure he’ll be getting the coffee as well.)
A first team All-ACC selection as a senior, Scheyer has spent the last three years playing professionally overseas in Israel and the Canary Islands, as well as in the NBDL.
Scheyer scored 2,077 points as a Blue Devil, teaming with Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler and Lance Thomas to win the school’s fourth national title as a senior in 2010.
Krzyzewski loves to keep it all in the Duke family when it comes to his staff, obviously, with former players like Collins, Steve Wojciechowski, Jason Capel, Jay Bilas and others making stops at his side over the years. Looks like Scheyer is no different.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 0
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (6)
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)