Apr 29, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Jon Scheyer is headed back to Duke.
The program announced that the former All-American and national champion will return to the Blue Devils as a special assistant. Scheyer was a guard for coach Mike Krzyzewski’s team from 2006-10.
“I am extremely fortunate to be able to come back to Duke,” Scheyer said in a statement. “It is a tremendous honor to be on Coach K’s staff and it is something I will cherish. I want to continue to learn from the entire staff and bring whatever I can to help the program.”
Scheyer returns to the program as former long-time assistant, former player and fellow Northbrook, Ill. native Chris Collins leaves for the head job at Northwestern. Nate James, whom Scheyer will take over for, was promoted to Collins’ former spot on the bench earlier this month. Scheyer will serve a lot of roles in his position, from helping game-plan to breaking down film (and I’m sure he’ll be getting the coffee as well.)
A first team All-ACC selection as a senior, Scheyer has spent the last three years playing professionally overseas in Israel and the Canary Islands, as well as in the NBDL.
Scheyer scored 2,077 points as a Blue Devil, teaming with Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler and Lance Thomas to win the school’s fourth national title as a senior in 2010.
Krzyzewski loves to keep it all in the Duke family when it comes to his staff, obviously, with former players like Collins, Steve Wojciechowski, Jason Capel, Jay Bilas and others making stops at his side over the years. Looks like Scheyer is no different.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)