Apr 29, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
La Salle announced Monday afternoon that sophomore guard D.J. Peterson has been granted a release from his scholarship and will transfer to a program closer to his home.
Peterson, a native of Burnsville, Minn., averaged 3.9 points and 2.4 rebounds this season. He spent a prep season at Lee Academy in Maine.
“I’ve enjoyed my time and the relationships I’ve made here at La Salle,” Peterson said. “However, I want to explore opportunities closer to home to continue my education and basketball career. I want to thank my coaches, teammates and fans for their support during my two years here.”
In Peterson, the Explorers lose a part-time starter — he started 18 games this season — who helped the team make the Sweet 16 as a 13-seed, winning three games to get there after coming out of the First Four in Dayton. The 6-5, 190-pounder played 25.6 minutes per game, fourth on the team, and shot 40 percent from three-point range as well.
There should be plenty of depth to cover for the loss, however. The Explorers only lose two players to graduation, one that was key. The team’s leading scorer in Roman Galloway, and Garvin Hunt, who played in 16 games with one start in 2012-13. The team also gets Georgia Southern transfer Cleon Roberts in 2014-15.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)