Apr 29, 2013, 5:23 PM EST
La Salle announced Monday afternoon that sophomore guard D.J. Peterson has been granted a release from his scholarship and will transfer to a program closer to his home.
Peterson, a native of Burnsville, Minn., averaged 3.9 points and 2.4 rebounds this season. He spent a prep season at Lee Academy in Maine.
“I’ve enjoyed my time and the relationships I’ve made here at La Salle,” Peterson said. “However, I want to explore opportunities closer to home to continue my education and basketball career. I want to thank my coaches, teammates and fans for their support during my two years here.”
In Peterson, the Explorers lose a part-time starter — he started 18 games this season — who helped the team make the Sweet 16 as a 13-seed, winning three games to get there after coming out of the First Four in Dayton. The 6-5, 190-pounder played 25.6 minutes per game, fourth on the team, and shot 40 percent from three-point range as well.
There should be plenty of depth to cover for the loss, however. The Explorers only lose two players to graduation, one that was key. The team’s leading scorer in Roman Galloway, and Garvin Hunt, who played in 16 games with one start in 2012-13. The team also gets Georgia Southern transfer Cleon Roberts in 2014-15.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)