Apr 29, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
La Salle announced Monday afternoon that sophomore guard D.J. Peterson has been granted a release from his scholarship and will transfer to a program closer to his home.
Peterson, a native of Burnsville, Minn., averaged 3.9 points and 2.4 rebounds this season. He spent a prep season at Lee Academy in Maine.
“I’ve enjoyed my time and the relationships I’ve made here at La Salle,” Peterson said. “However, I want to explore opportunities closer to home to continue my education and basketball career. I want to thank my coaches, teammates and fans for their support during my two years here.”
In Peterson, the Explorers lose a part-time starter — he started 18 games this season — who helped the team make the Sweet 16 as a 13-seed, winning three games to get there after coming out of the First Four in Dayton. The 6-5, 190-pounder played 25.6 minutes per game, fourth on the team, and shot 40 percent from three-point range as well.
There should be plenty of depth to cover for the loss, however. The Explorers only lose two players to graduation, one that was key. The team’s leading scorer in Roman Galloway, and Garvin Hunt, who played in 16 games with one start in 2012-13. The team also gets Georgia Southern transfer Cleon Roberts in 2014-15.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)