Apr 29, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
Minnesota is throwing a bit more money to its current coaching staff than it did in previous years.
According to a story in the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, first-year head coach Richard Pitino will have more money invested in his lowest-paid assistant than former head coach Tubby Smith had in his top aide last season.
Dan McHale, who came over last week from Seton Hall, will be the highest-paid assistant coach on staff at $215,000. The lowest-salaried coaches, Ben Johnson and Kamani Young, will make $181,000 each. In 2012-13, Ron Jirsa, Smith’s no. 1, made $161,916.
Vince Taylor (who made $151,126) and Saul Smith ($91,755), also made considerably less than the new regime will make.
The new Director of Basketball Operations, Steve Goodson, will make $75,000, compared to last season’s D.B.O., Josh Adel, who banked $45,000 in salary.
There had been echoes that while Minnesota was on the way up in the B1G in talent, the program was lacking in a few areas. Among those were namely that Williams Arena, while one of the more iconic college basketball forums in terms of ambiance and tradition — it’s been around since 1928, and has undergone three renovations — was old and recruits couldn’t be sold on the fact that they’d play there. They also are one of the few major programs that doesn’t have a practice facility.
The salaries are a good start to show that the Golden Gophers are making an effort to be competitive at the top level of one of the best conferences in college basketball.
If Pitino can convince the meat of the current roster to stay and get some solid recruits, he could be the man to take Minnesota to the upper echelon, at least every once in awhile, of the B1G.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)