Apr 29, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
The new Big East has retained the rights to Madison Square Garden for the Big East tournament, which means that the old Big East — the aptly named American Athletic Conference — will be forced to find a place to play their conference tournament.
According to a report over the weekend from The New London Day, Mohegan Sun is putting together an offer to try and land the new conference. The report says that they have already made a pitch to land the women’s tournament, and that at some point this week, an offer should come rolling in for the men’s tournament.
It would be interesting to see how this plays out. The AAC is quite spread out — it’s comprised of the other half of the Big East, schools like Memphis, UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, South Florida, Central Florida, etc. — but that could actually be a benefit to Mohegan’s bid. The arena that the event would be held in holds 10,000 but seems smaller than that. It wouldn’t take much to make it feel full, and with UConn being in-state — the Storrs campus is 45 minutes away — there shouldn’t be an issue of tickets being sold.
One of the biggest knocks when it comes to conference tournaments is a stale environment, and that shouldn’t be the case.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)