Apr 29, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
The new Big East has retained the rights to Madison Square Garden for the Big East tournament, which means that the old Big East — the aptly named American Athletic Conference — will be forced to find a place to play their conference tournament.
According to a report over the weekend from The New London Day, Mohegan Sun is putting together an offer to try and land the new conference. The report says that they have already made a pitch to land the women’s tournament, and that at some point this week, an offer should come rolling in for the men’s tournament.
It would be interesting to see how this plays out. The AAC is quite spread out — it’s comprised of the other half of the Big East, schools like Memphis, UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, South Florida, Central Florida, etc. — but that could actually be a benefit to Mohegan’s bid. The arena that the event would be held in holds 10,000 but seems smaller than that. It wouldn’t take much to make it feel full, and with UConn being in-state — the Storrs campus is 45 minutes away — there shouldn’t be an issue of tickets being sold.
One of the biggest knocks when it comes to conference tournaments is a stale environment, and that shouldn’t be the case.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 5
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)