Apr 29, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
UMass released a statement Monday afternoon announcing that guard Chaz Williams will return to the program for his senior season.
“I just want to thank everybody around the community and at UMass, from the coaches to the fans for allowing me to do the things I do,” Williams said. “Coach Kellogg was nice enough to allow me to have the opportunity to get feedback from NBA scouts. It was a tough process. I was thinking about taking care of my family, especially my daughter.
“I love this program and coach Kellogg, and I love all the guys on the team. The pieces we have coming back next season was a big reason I decided to stay in school. We are trying our hardest to have the arena filled each and every game and the student support we have makes college basketball so exciting.”
The 6-2 former Hofstra transfer averaged a team-leading 15.5 points and 7.3 assists per game last season, garnering first team All-Atlantic 10 Conference honors. In his two-year career, he has averaged 16.2 per game.
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Williams waited until the last possible minute to announce he was coming back, despite the fact that there was little-to-no buzz surrounding him in terms of his NBA Draft prospects. This seems like the best decision for him.
With Williams returning, coach Derrick Kellogg will have one of the better backcourts in the conference with Williams and Western Kentucky transfer Derrick Gordon, who becomes eligible after sitting out last year. Gordon led the Hilltoppers in scoring as a freshman during the 2011-12 season at 11.8 per game and also pulled down 6.7 rebounds per game. They also get West Virginia transfer Jabarie Hinds in 2014-15, when Williams graduates.
It will also ease the loss of 6-5 Jesse Morgan, who was second behind Williams at 13.4 points per game this season.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 2
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)