Apr 29, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
UMass released a statement Monday afternoon announcing that guard Chaz Williams will return to the program for his senior season.
“I just want to thank everybody around the community and at UMass, from the coaches to the fans for allowing me to do the things I do,” Williams said. “Coach Kellogg was nice enough to allow me to have the opportunity to get feedback from NBA scouts. It was a tough process. I was thinking about taking care of my family, especially my daughter.
“I love this program and coach Kellogg, and I love all the guys on the team. The pieces we have coming back next season was a big reason I decided to stay in school. We are trying our hardest to have the arena filled each and every game and the student support we have makes college basketball so exciting.”
The 6-2 former Hofstra transfer averaged a team-leading 15.5 points and 7.3 assists per game last season, garnering first team All-Atlantic 10 Conference honors. In his two-year career, he has averaged 16.2 per game.
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Williams waited until the last possible minute to announce he was coming back, despite the fact that there was little-to-no buzz surrounding him in terms of his NBA Draft prospects. This seems like the best decision for him.
With Williams returning, coach Derrick Kellogg will have one of the better backcourts in the conference with Williams and Western Kentucky transfer Derrick Gordon, who becomes eligible after sitting out last year. Gordon led the Hilltoppers in scoring as a freshman during the 2011-12 season at 11.8 per game and also pulled down 6.7 rebounds per game. They also get West Virginia transfer Jabarie Hinds in 2014-15, when Williams graduates.
It will also ease the loss of 6-5 Jesse Morgan, who was second behind Williams at 13.4 points per game this season.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)