Apr 30, 2013, 4:28 PM EST
Former Duke forward Lance Thomas, who purchased almost $100,000 worth of jewelry during the Blue Devils championship season in 2010 was cleared of all wrongdoing, along with the university, by the NCAA on Tuesday.
The News & Observer first reported the news:
“The NCAA has found no evidence of a rules violation in this situation based on the information available, and both the NCAA and Duke consider the matter closed,” said a university statement released by associate athletic director Jon Jackson.
A lawsuit made public in September brought attention to Thomas’s Dec. 21, 2009 purchase of $97,800 worth of custom jewelry from Manhattan-based Rafaello and Co. Thomas, home on winter break midway through his senior year at Duke, made a $30,000 down payment and signed a purchase agreement to pay the remaining balance within 15 days. He defaulted on the payment, and the jeweler filed a lawsuit in January 2012 for the outstanding balance. Thomas and Rafaello and Co. settled the lawsuit on Sept. 18. Terms were confidential.
This will likely be considered by many (and who can blame them) as another controversial ruling by the NCAA given Duke’s prowess in college basketball. But as Laura Keeley pointed out pursuing an investigation was made difficult by both the jeweler’s and Thomas’ refusal to speak with the NCAA.
Mike Krzyzewski, who said the school would cooperate fully with the NCAA, only spoke once on the issue back in October.
Thomas recently wrapped up his second NBA season with the New Orleans Hornets, averaging 2.5 points and 1.9 rebounds per game in 59 appearances for the Hornets.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)