Apr 30, 2013, 9:46 PM EST
After seeing a handful of players leave the program, Eddie Jordan landed his first commitment as head coach of Rutgers University when Hutchinson Community College (Kan.) point guard D’Von Campbell pledged to join the Scarlet Knights on Tuesday
“I’m glad to have the opportunity to play at Rutgers,” Campbell told Jerry Carino of MyCentralJersery.com on Tuesday. “I’m excited to play against top competition.”
In his freshman season at UTEP, Campbell was caught in a large recruiting class and was squeezed out of playing time because of that. He transferred to Hutchinson for the 2012-2013 season so he would not have to sit out a season at another Division I program.
At Hutchinson he averaged 12 points and four assists per game on a team that finished 31-4. He averaged 2.3 points, 1.1 rebounds and 0.9 assists per game in 2011-2012 with the Miners.
The 6-foot point guard joins Craig Brown in Rutgers incoming class. Brown, the 6-foot-5 JUCO wing, originally committed to Rutgers before the Mike Rice practice tape scandal and reaffirmed his committed to Rutgers last week.
Campbell commits on the same day, leading scorer Eli Carter announced his transfer to Florida. Mike Poole has committed to Iona. Vincent Garrett, Jerome Seagears and Malick Kone — who announced his transfer before the scandal — are also weighing their options. Shane Rector, a 2013 recruit has decommitted and committed to Missouri.
Campbell will join second-leading scorer Myles Mack in the Rutgers backcourt for the 2013-2014 season.
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 0
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)