Apr 30, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
After seeing a handful of players leave the program, Eddie Jordan landed his first commitment as head coach of Rutgers University when Hutchinson Community College (Kan.) point guard D’Von Campbell pledged to join the Scarlet Knights on Tuesday
“I’m glad to have the opportunity to play at Rutgers,” Campbell told Jerry Carino of MyCentralJersery.com on Tuesday. “I’m excited to play against top competition.”
In his freshman season at UTEP, Campbell was caught in a large recruiting class and was squeezed out of playing time because of that. He transferred to Hutchinson for the 2012-2013 season so he would not have to sit out a season at another Division I program.
At Hutchinson he averaged 12 points and four assists per game on a team that finished 31-4. He averaged 2.3 points, 1.1 rebounds and 0.9 assists per game in 2011-2012 with the Miners.
The 6-foot point guard joins Craig Brown in Rutgers incoming class. Brown, the 6-foot-5 JUCO wing, originally committed to Rutgers before the Mike Rice practice tape scandal and reaffirmed his committed to Rutgers last week.
Campbell commits on the same day, leading scorer Eli Carter announced his transfer to Florida. Mike Poole has committed to Iona. Vincent Garrett, Jerome Seagears and Malick Kone — who announced his transfer before the scandal — are also weighing their options. Shane Rector, a 2013 recruit has decommitted and committed to Missouri.
Campbell will join second-leading scorer Myles Mack in the Rutgers backcourt for the 2013-2014 season.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)