Apr 30, 2013, 9:46 PM EST
After seeing a handful of players leave the program, Eddie Jordan landed his first commitment as head coach of Rutgers University when Hutchinson Community College (Kan.) point guard D’Von Campbell pledged to join the Scarlet Knights on Tuesday
“I’m glad to have the opportunity to play at Rutgers,” Campbell told Jerry Carino of MyCentralJersery.com on Tuesday. “I’m excited to play against top competition.”
In his freshman season at UTEP, Campbell was caught in a large recruiting class and was squeezed out of playing time because of that. He transferred to Hutchinson for the 2012-2013 season so he would not have to sit out a season at another Division I program.
At Hutchinson he averaged 12 points and four assists per game on a team that finished 31-4. He averaged 2.3 points, 1.1 rebounds and 0.9 assists per game in 2011-2012 with the Miners.
The 6-foot point guard joins Craig Brown in Rutgers incoming class. Brown, the 6-foot-5 JUCO wing, originally committed to Rutgers before the Mike Rice practice tape scandal and reaffirmed his committed to Rutgers last week.
Campbell commits on the same day, leading scorer Eli Carter announced his transfer to Florida. Mike Poole has committed to Iona. Vincent Garrett, Jerome Seagears and Malick Kone — who announced his transfer before the scandal — are also weighing their options. Shane Rector, a 2013 recruit has decommitted and committed to Missouri.
Campbell will join second-leading scorer Myles Mack in the Rutgers backcourt for the 2013-2014 season.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)