Apr 30, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
After seeing a handful of players leave the program, Eddie Jordan landed his first commitment as head coach of Rutgers University when Hutchinson Community College (Kan.) point guard D’Von Campbell pledged to join the Scarlet Knights on Tuesday
“I’m glad to have the opportunity to play at Rutgers,” Campbell told Jerry Carino of MyCentralJersery.com on Tuesday. “I’m excited to play against top competition.”
In his freshman season at UTEP, Campbell was caught in a large recruiting class and was squeezed out of playing time because of that. He transferred to Hutchinson for the 2012-2013 season so he would not have to sit out a season at another Division I program.
At Hutchinson he averaged 12 points and four assists per game on a team that finished 31-4. He averaged 2.3 points, 1.1 rebounds and 0.9 assists per game in 2011-2012 with the Miners.
The 6-foot point guard joins Craig Brown in Rutgers incoming class. Brown, the 6-foot-5 JUCO wing, originally committed to Rutgers before the Mike Rice practice tape scandal and reaffirmed his committed to Rutgers last week.
Campbell commits on the same day, leading scorer Eli Carter announced his transfer to Florida. Mike Poole has committed to Iona. Vincent Garrett, Jerome Seagears and Malick Kone — who announced his transfer before the scandal — are also weighing their options. Shane Rector, a 2013 recruit has decommitted and committed to Missouri.
Campbell will join second-leading scorer Myles Mack in the Rutgers backcourt for the 2013-2014 season.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
Austin Rivers plays pick-up against LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney, Rutgers freshman Corey Sanders (VIDEO)
May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Austin Rivers played against some exciting rising freshmen in Antonio Blakeney and Corey Sanders.
May 25, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Conference USA Freshman of the Year winner Torin Dorn is focusing on four schools.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Auburn is losing a reserve forward.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jamal Murray is one of the major pieces still in question for the 2015-16 college basketball season.
May 25, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
This is actually kind of creepy.
May 25, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
This seems risky.
May 25, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Bridges is considering hometown schools as well as a pair of blue-bloods.
May 25, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Will Maker ever make it to college?
May 24, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Arizona State’s “Curtain of Distraction” made an appearance as well.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)