Apr 30, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
Proud to announce that I will be continuing my career at the University of Florida !! #Gators
— Eli Carter (@Eli_Carter5) April 30, 2013
That’s Eli Carter, one of the players to transfer out of Rutgers in the wake of the Mike Rice scandal, announcing that he’ll be heading to Florida to continue his collegiate career.
Carter, who is following the same path as the now-graduated Mike Rosario, averaged 14.9 points for the Scarlet Knights as a sophomore, but he suffered a season-ending knee injury against DePaul in February. Perhaps the reason that Florida liked him so much is that Carter scored 31 points against the Gators as a freshman.
The 6-foot-2 transfer has to sit out a season before becoming eligible unless he can secure a waiver from the NCAA as a result of the way that his time in New Brunswick came to an end.
The Gators return Scottie Wilbekin and Michael Frazier while adding top ten recruit Kasey Hill to the mix, but Carter’s scoring punch and ability to play both back court positions will be a valuable addition whenever he does get eligible.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)