Apr 30, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
Last night, a picture popped up on Kentucky Sports Radio of John Calipari and Rick Pitino posing together at Malone’s, a restaurant in Kentucky.
It raised plenty of eyebrows, and it’s not exactly a secret that Pitino and Calipari don’t exactly get along on the court or off of it.
On Tuesday, we got an explanation, as the father of the girl in the picture called into the KSR radio show to tell the story of what, exactly, happened:
According to the caller, the woman saw Cal eating at Sal’s, and knowing that Pitino was next door at Malone’s, asked Cal if he would be willing to take a picture with her and Pitino. Cal obliged.
Earlier on Monday night, Cal tweeted that he would be dining at Malone’s to honor the passing of his friend Ron Rager, the COO of Bluegrass Hospitality Group, which owns Malone’s, Sal’s, and Drake’s. Perhaps Pitino had the same idea, and with the help of one brave woman, came together for a photo op for the ages.
Cal and Pitino weren’t breaking bread together after all.
It appears that the rivalry to end all rivalries is still alive and well.
Personally, I’m just going to pretend that they spent the evening discussing the pros and cons of hairspray versus pomade.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)