Apr 30, 2013, 1:54 PM EST
Last night, a picture popped up on Kentucky Sports Radio of John Calipari and Rick Pitino posing together at Malone’s, a restaurant in Kentucky.
It raised plenty of eyebrows, and it’s not exactly a secret that Pitino and Calipari don’t exactly get along on the court or off of it.
On Tuesday, we got an explanation, as the father of the girl in the picture called into the KSR radio show to tell the story of what, exactly, happened:
According to the caller, the woman saw Cal eating at Sal’s, and knowing that Pitino was next door at Malone’s, asked Cal if he would be willing to take a picture with her and Pitino. Cal obliged.
Earlier on Monday night, Cal tweeted that he would be dining at Malone’s to honor the passing of his friend Ron Rager, the COO of Bluegrass Hospitality Group, which owns Malone’s, Sal’s, and Drake’s. Perhaps Pitino had the same idea, and with the help of one brave woman, came together for a photo op for the ages.
Cal and Pitino weren’t breaking bread together after all.
It appears that the rivalry to end all rivalries is still alive and well.
Personally, I’m just going to pretend that they spent the evening discussing the pros and cons of hairspray versus pomade.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)