Apr 30, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
Last night, a picture popped up on Kentucky Sports Radio of John Calipari and Rick Pitino posing together at Malone’s, a restaurant in Kentucky.
It raised plenty of eyebrows, and it’s not exactly a secret that Pitino and Calipari don’t exactly get along on the court or off of it.
On Tuesday, we got an explanation, as the father of the girl in the picture called into the KSR radio show to tell the story of what, exactly, happened:
According to the caller, the woman saw Cal eating at Sal’s, and knowing that Pitino was next door at Malone’s, asked Cal if he would be willing to take a picture with her and Pitino. Cal obliged.
Earlier on Monday night, Cal tweeted that he would be dining at Malone’s to honor the passing of his friend Ron Rager, the COO of Bluegrass Hospitality Group, which owns Malone’s, Sal’s, and Drake’s. Perhaps Pitino had the same idea, and with the help of one brave woman, came together for a photo op for the ages.
Cal and Pitino weren’t breaking bread together after all.
It appears that the rivalry to end all rivalries is still alive and well.
Personally, I’m just going to pretend that they spent the evening discussing the pros and cons of hairspray versus pomade.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Texas A&M gets a tough guard, St. John’s big weekend, Xavier’s intriguing fit 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- 2014-15 America East Preview: Does Stony Brook finally make the Tournament? 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)