Apr 30, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
Last night, a picture popped up on Kentucky Sports Radio of John Calipari and Rick Pitino posing together at Malone’s, a restaurant in Kentucky.
It raised plenty of eyebrows, and it’s not exactly a secret that Pitino and Calipari don’t exactly get along on the court or off of it.
On Tuesday, we got an explanation, as the father of the girl in the picture called into the KSR radio show to tell the story of what, exactly, happened:
According to the caller, the woman saw Cal eating at Sal’s, and knowing that Pitino was next door at Malone’s, asked Cal if he would be willing to take a picture with her and Pitino. Cal obliged.
Earlier on Monday night, Cal tweeted that he would be dining at Malone’s to honor the passing of his friend Ron Rager, the COO of Bluegrass Hospitality Group, which owns Malone’s, Sal’s, and Drake’s. Perhaps Pitino had the same idea, and with the help of one brave woman, came together for a photo op for the ages.
Cal and Pitino weren’t breaking bread together after all.
It appears that the rivalry to end all rivalries is still alive and well.
Personally, I’m just going to pretend that they spent the evening discussing the pros and cons of hairspray versus pomade.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)