May 1, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
Dallas really wants to find a way to kick off the 2013-2014 college hoops season.
Last December, reports came out that Michigan State AD Mark Hollis was looking to try and schedule an event where four games would be played simultaneously at Cowboy Stadium to kick off the year. We haven’t heard much about it since, mainly because it’s not a good idea, but late on Tuesday night, ESPN’s Jason King reported that bd Global — the same company that hosted the Texas-UCLA game at Reliant Stadium in Houston last season — was looking to hold a multi-game event at American Airlines Arena, the home of the Mavericks.
No names were given as to potential participants, but there could be as many as four games being played and upwards of half of the participants could be Big 12 schools.
“We want this to serve as the tip-off to the season,” bd Global president Brooks Downing told King. “The plan is to generate a lot of excitement and hype about college basketball in the city that’s hosting the Final Four.”
I like this idea.
I’m always a fan of more marquee games being played early in the season. Let’s just hope that Downing is smart enough to create more intriguing matchups than last year’s Texas-UCLA game. That was played in an empty football stadium — 2,797 fans showed up, which is a good number for a high school game — and was a thoroughly horrendous game to watch.
(Image via wikipedia)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)