May 1, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
Dallas really wants to find a way to kick off the 2013-2014 college hoops season.
Last December, reports came out that Michigan State AD Mark Hollis was looking to try and schedule an event where four games would be played simultaneously at Cowboy Stadium to kick off the year. We haven’t heard much about it since, mainly because it’s not a good idea, but late on Tuesday night, ESPN’s Jason King reported that bd Global — the same company that hosted the Texas-UCLA game at Reliant Stadium in Houston last season — was looking to hold a multi-game event at American Airlines Arena, the home of the Mavericks.
No names were given as to potential participants, but there could be as many as four games being played and upwards of half of the participants could be Big 12 schools.
“We want this to serve as the tip-off to the season,” bd Global president Brooks Downing told King. “The plan is to generate a lot of excitement and hype about college basketball in the city that’s hosting the Final Four.”
I like this idea.
I’m always a fan of more marquee games being played early in the season. Let’s just hope that Downing is smart enough to create more intriguing matchups than last year’s Texas-UCLA game. That was played in an empty football stadium — 2,797 fans showed up, which is a good number for a high school game — and was a thoroughly horrendous game to watch.
(Image via wikipedia)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)