May 1, 2013, 9:28 AM EST
Dallas really wants to find a way to kick off the 2013-2014 college hoops season.
Last December, reports came out that Michigan State AD Mark Hollis was looking to try and schedule an event where four games would be played simultaneously at Cowboy Stadium to kick off the year. We haven’t heard much about it since, mainly because it’s not a good idea, but late on Tuesday night, ESPN’s Jason King reported that bd Global — the same company that hosted the Texas-UCLA game at Reliant Stadium in Houston last season — was looking to hold a multi-game event at American Airlines Arena, the home of the Mavericks.
No names were given as to potential participants, but there could be as many as four games being played and upwards of half of the participants could be Big 12 schools.
“We want this to serve as the tip-off to the season,” bd Global president Brooks Downing told King. “The plan is to generate a lot of excitement and hype about college basketball in the city that’s hosting the Final Four.”
I like this idea.
I’m always a fan of more marquee games being played early in the season. Let’s just hope that Downing is smart enough to create more intriguing matchups than last year’s Texas-UCLA game. That was played in an empty football stadium — 2,797 fans showed up, which is a good number for a high school game — and was a thoroughly horrendous game to watch.
(Image via wikipedia)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)