May 1, 2013, 9:28 AM EST
Dallas really wants to find a way to kick off the 2013-2014 college hoops season.
Last December, reports came out that Michigan State AD Mark Hollis was looking to try and schedule an event where four games would be played simultaneously at Cowboy Stadium to kick off the year. We haven’t heard much about it since, mainly because it’s not a good idea, but late on Tuesday night, ESPN’s Jason King reported that bd Global — the same company that hosted the Texas-UCLA game at Reliant Stadium in Houston last season — was looking to hold a multi-game event at American Airlines Arena, the home of the Mavericks.
No names were given as to potential participants, but there could be as many as four games being played and upwards of half of the participants could be Big 12 schools.
“We want this to serve as the tip-off to the season,” bd Global president Brooks Downing told King. “The plan is to generate a lot of excitement and hype about college basketball in the city that’s hosting the Final Four.”
I like this idea.
I’m always a fan of more marquee games being played early in the season. Let’s just hope that Downing is smart enough to create more intriguing matchups than last year’s Texas-UCLA game. That was played in an empty football stadium — 2,797 fans showed up, which is a good number for a high school game — and was a thoroughly horrendous game to watch.
(Image via wikipedia)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)