May 1, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
Dallas really wants to find a way to kick off the 2013-2014 college hoops season.
Last December, reports came out that Michigan State AD Mark Hollis was looking to try and schedule an event where four games would be played simultaneously at Cowboy Stadium to kick off the year. We haven’t heard much about it since, mainly because it’s not a good idea, but late on Tuesday night, ESPN’s Jason King reported that bd Global — the same company that hosted the Texas-UCLA game at Reliant Stadium in Houston last season — was looking to hold a multi-game event at American Airlines Arena, the home of the Mavericks.
No names were given as to potential participants, but there could be as many as four games being played and upwards of half of the participants could be Big 12 schools.
“We want this to serve as the tip-off to the season,” bd Global president Brooks Downing told King. “The plan is to generate a lot of excitement and hype about college basketball in the city that’s hosting the Final Four.”
I like this idea.
I’m always a fan of more marquee games being played early in the season. Let’s just hope that Downing is smart enough to create more intriguing matchups than last year’s Texas-UCLA game. That was played in an empty football stadium — 2,797 fans showed up, which is a good number for a high school game — and was a thoroughly horrendous game to watch.
(Image via wikipedia)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)