May 1, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
The brewing scandal on the UW-Green Bay basketball team took another wild turn on Wednesday.
If you’re not caught up, a quick refresher: two different players have levied accusations of mistreatment against head coach Brian Wardle, and on Monday evening, one of those players — former walk-on Ryan Bross — went public with what happened.
His story is ugly, including an incident where Wardle allegedly forced Bross to run until he soiled himself, and then made fun of the player for it after the fact.
But then UWGB’s two leading scorers, Keifer Sykes and Alec Brown, went on 1440 WNFL with the Maino and Nick show to discredit those accusations, going as far as to say that the accusations weren’t true.
Well, the battle in the media isn’t over yet, as Brennan Cougill — who was the second player to initially file a complaint with the school about Wardle — went to the paper that initially published Bross’ accusations to take up for his former teammate:
Cougill, however, said neither Brown nor Sykes were in the same running group as Bross during the October training session that took place on the hills near campus. Cougill said the group included Bross, freshman Nick Arenz and himself. When Bross dropped out because he defecated himself, the rest of the group continued to run, and the other groups were not nearby, said Cougill, whose mother also filed a complaint against Wardle.
And independent investigator is currently on the case, looking into these claims.
If the past few days has taught us anything, it’s that whoever the investigator is has quite an unenviable task in front of him.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)