May 1, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
In the worst kept secret in college hoops, Angel Rodriguez has decided to transfer to Miami to finish up his final two years of collegiate eligibility, according to multiple reports.
Rodriguez will also attempt to get a hardship waiver to play immediately for the Hurricanes, according to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com. Rodriguez is a native of Puerto Rico that spent his high school years in Miami. His family is in the area, and that played a large role in his decision to leave Kansas State.
If Rodriguez were to get eligible next season for the Hurricanes, it would be a massive boost for Jim Larranaga’s club, which is losing their top six scorers from last season now that Shane Larkin is headed off to the NBA. He averaged 11.4 points and 5.2 assists last season for the Wildcats and is one of the most underrated point guards in the country.
His addition probably isn’t going to guarantee that Miami would make the 2014 NCAA tournament, but it sure would go a long way towards keeping them competitive in what’s going to be a loaded conference next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)