May 1, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
After losing Grant Jerrett to the professional ranks a couple weeks ago Arizona will be losing another front court player, as it was reported by multiple outlets Wednesday evening that rising junior forward Angelo Chol will transfer.
Chol, who played his high school basketball at Hoover HS in San Diego, didn’t see a great amount of playing time during his two seasons in Tucson (10.6 mpg) and leaves the school with averages of 2.4 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.
With the loss of Jerrett (and Solomon Hill) the Wildcats were down to three front court players with Division I experience. But even with the departures it would have been tough to see Chol’s minutes making a major jump with Brandon Ashley and Kaleb Tarcewski being joined by McDonald’s All-American Aaron Gordon.
“After much consideration and several conversations with both Coach Miller and my family, I have decided to transfer to another university,” said Chol in a release from the school. “I believe this change will put me in a better situation to earn more playing time and a starting role elsewhere.
“I have enjoyed my time in Tucson and want to thank my teammates, coaching staff and the fans for their support.”
As a result of Chol’s decision head coach Sean Miller will essentially have a three-man rotation (and just two players with Division I experience) in the front court, with redshirt junior Matt Korcheck looking to earn a few minutes where possible.
As for where Chol may be headed, multiple reports surfaced shortly after the announcement of his decision that San Diego State and Gonzaga are two possible destinations for the 6-9 power forward.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)