May 1, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
After losing Grant Jerrett to the professional ranks a couple weeks ago Arizona will be losing another front court player, as it was reported by multiple outlets Wednesday evening that rising junior forward Angelo Chol will transfer.
Chol, who played his high school basketball at Hoover HS in San Diego, didn’t see a great amount of playing time during his two seasons in Tucson (10.6 mpg) and leaves the school with averages of 2.4 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.
With the loss of Jerrett (and Solomon Hill) the Wildcats were down to three front court players with Division I experience. But even with the departures it would have been tough to see Chol’s minutes making a major jump with Brandon Ashley and Kaleb Tarcewski being joined by McDonald’s All-American Aaron Gordon.
“After much consideration and several conversations with both Coach Miller and my family, I have decided to transfer to another university,” said Chol in a release from the school. “I believe this change will put me in a better situation to earn more playing time and a starting role elsewhere.
“I have enjoyed my time in Tucson and want to thank my teammates, coaching staff and the fans for their support.”
As a result of Chol’s decision head coach Sean Miller will essentially have a three-man rotation (and just two players with Division I experience) in the front court, with redshirt junior Matt Korcheck looking to earn a few minutes where possible.
As for where Chol may be headed, multiple reports surfaced shortly after the announcement of his decision that San Diego State and Gonzaga are two possible destinations for the 6-9 power forward.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)