May 1, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
After losing Grant Jerrett to the professional ranks a couple weeks ago Arizona will be losing another front court player, as it was reported by multiple outlets Wednesday evening that rising junior forward Angelo Chol will transfer.
Chol, who played his high school basketball at Hoover HS in San Diego, didn’t see a great amount of playing time during his two seasons in Tucson (10.6 mpg) and leaves the school with averages of 2.4 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.
With the loss of Jerrett (and Solomon Hill) the Wildcats were down to three front court players with Division I experience. But even with the departures it would have been tough to see Chol’s minutes making a major jump with Brandon Ashley and Kaleb Tarcewski being joined by McDonald’s All-American Aaron Gordon.
“After much consideration and several conversations with both Coach Miller and my family, I have decided to transfer to another university,” said Chol in a release from the school. “I believe this change will put me in a better situation to earn more playing time and a starting role elsewhere.
“I have enjoyed my time in Tucson and want to thank my teammates, coaching staff and the fans for their support.”
As a result of Chol’s decision head coach Sean Miller will essentially have a three-man rotation (and just two players with Division I experience) in the front court, with redshirt junior Matt Korcheck looking to earn a few minutes where possible.
As for where Chol may be headed, multiple reports surfaced shortly after the announcement of his decision that San Diego State and Gonzaga are two possible destinations for the 6-9 power forward.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)