May 1, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
After losing Grant Jerrett to the professional ranks a couple weeks ago Arizona will be losing another front court player, as it was reported by multiple outlets Wednesday evening that rising junior forward Angelo Chol will transfer.
Chol, who played his high school basketball at Hoover HS in San Diego, didn’t see a great amount of playing time during his two seasons in Tucson (10.6 mpg) and leaves the school with averages of 2.4 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.
With the loss of Jerrett (and Solomon Hill) the Wildcats were down to three front court players with Division I experience. But even with the departures it would have been tough to see Chol’s minutes making a major jump with Brandon Ashley and Kaleb Tarcewski being joined by McDonald’s All-American Aaron Gordon.
“After much consideration and several conversations with both Coach Miller and my family, I have decided to transfer to another university,” said Chol in a release from the school. “I believe this change will put me in a better situation to earn more playing time and a starting role elsewhere.
“I have enjoyed my time in Tucson and want to thank my teammates, coaching staff and the fans for their support.”
As a result of Chol’s decision head coach Sean Miller will essentially have a three-man rotation (and just two players with Division I experience) in the front court, with redshirt junior Matt Korcheck looking to earn a few minutes where possible.
As for where Chol may be headed, multiple reports surfaced shortly after the announcement of his decision that San Diego State and Gonzaga are two possible destinations for the 6-9 power forward.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Next up for the United States is Italy, and they could run into hosts Greece in the semifinals.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Jones recently received his qualifying score on the SAT, only to inform SDSU that he wanted to be released from his NLI.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)