May 1, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
On Wednesday, Jerome Seagears became the third former Rutgers players to decide on a destination to transfer this summer, tweeting that he will be playing for Auburn to finish up his collegiate career.
I Will Be Attending Auburn University To Finish My Student Athletic Career!!! War Eagle
— Jerome Seagears (@SEAGEARS_MADE) May 1, 2013
Seagears, a native of Silver Spring, MD, averaged 6.5 points and 2.6 assists as a sophomore at Rutgers this past season.
It will be interesting to see if Seagears — or if Eli Carter at Rutgers or Mike Poole at Iona — will be allowed immediate eligibility at their new programs. The only time that the NCAA has made a blanket ruling regarding transfers was after the Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn State, and this, frankly, does not compare.
That said, it was a coach abusing his players, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen.
Auburn is coming off of a year where they went 9-23 overall, 3-15 in the SEC and lost 16 of their last 17 games. With Frankie Sullivan and Rob Chubb, two of Auburn’s top three scorers from a season ago, graduating, Tony Barbee needs all the help that he can get.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)