May 1, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
On Wednesday, Jerome Seagears became the third former Rutgers players to decide on a destination to transfer this summer, tweeting that he will be playing for Auburn to finish up his collegiate career.
I Will Be Attending Auburn University To Finish My Student Athletic Career!!! War Eagle
— Jerome Seagears (@SEAGEARS_MADE) May 1, 2013
Seagears, a native of Silver Spring, MD, averaged 6.5 points and 2.6 assists as a sophomore at Rutgers this past season.
It will be interesting to see if Seagears — or if Eli Carter at Rutgers or Mike Poole at Iona — will be allowed immediate eligibility at their new programs. The only time that the NCAA has made a blanket ruling regarding transfers was after the Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn State, and this, frankly, does not compare.
That said, it was a coach abusing his players, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen.
Auburn is coming off of a year where they went 9-23 overall, 3-15 in the SEC and lost 16 of their last 17 games. With Frankie Sullivan and Rob Chubb, two of Auburn’s top three scorers from a season ago, graduating, Tony Barbee needs all the help that he can get.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)