May 1, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
On Wednesday, Jerome Seagears became the third former Rutgers players to decide on a destination to transfer this summer, tweeting that he will be playing for Auburn to finish up his collegiate career.
I Will Be Attending Auburn University To Finish My Student Athletic Career!!! War Eagle
— Jerome Seagears (@SEAGEARS_MADE) May 1, 2013
Seagears, a native of Silver Spring, MD, averaged 6.5 points and 2.6 assists as a sophomore at Rutgers this past season.
It will be interesting to see if Seagears — or if Eli Carter at Rutgers or Mike Poole at Iona — will be allowed immediate eligibility at their new programs. The only time that the NCAA has made a blanket ruling regarding transfers was after the Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn State, and this, frankly, does not compare.
That said, it was a coach abusing his players, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen.
Auburn is coming off of a year where they went 9-23 overall, 3-15 in the SEC and lost 16 of their last 17 games. With Frankie Sullivan and Rob Chubb, two of Auburn’s top three scorers from a season ago, graduating, Tony Barbee needs all the help that he can get.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)