May 1, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
With leading scorer C.J. Harris out of eligibility, Wake Forest was in need of a solid perimeter shooter as they look to improve their standing within an ACC that becomes tougher due to the arrival of Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse.
On Wednesday afternoon the program announced the addition of former Robert Morris guard Coron Williams, a graduate student who will be eligible to play for the Demon Deacons immediately.
Williams averaged 9.1 points per game as a redshirt junior last season, but it’s also important to take note of his three-point shooting when considering where he’ll fit into the Wake Forest rotation.
Just two Demon Deacons shot better than 40% from beyond the arc last season: Harris (43.1%) and Chase Fischer (42.2%), and as a team Wake Forest shot 34.5% from deep (8th in the ACC). Last season Williams connected on 41.6% of his shots from distance, and for his career the Midlothian, Va. native is a 42.2% three-point shooter.
“We are excited to welcome Coron to the Wake Forest basketball family,” said head coach Jeff Bzdelik in the school release. “He combines athleticism with an excellent long range shooting ability. Coron’s maturity and leadership will be a great asset to our team next season.
“We are all looking forward to having him join our program.”
Williams joins a roster led by forwards Travis McKie (13.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg) and Devin Thomas (9.1 ppg, 7.5 rpg) and guard Codi Miller-McIntyre (8.1 ppg, 2.6 apg), with the hope being that his shooting will not only help Wake Forest manage the departure of Harris but also relieve some of the pressure on McKie and Thomas.
“I think I can spread the court for this team with my shooting ability, coming off screens and moving to get open off penetration,” Williams stated in the release. “I can also bring some leadership and experience after playing four years of college basketball.”
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)