May 1, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
With leading scorer C.J. Harris out of eligibility, Wake Forest was in need of a solid perimeter shooter as they look to improve their standing within an ACC that becomes tougher due to the arrival of Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse.
On Wednesday afternoon the program announced the addition of former Robert Morris guard Coron Williams, a graduate student who will be eligible to play for the Demon Deacons immediately.
Williams averaged 9.1 points per game as a redshirt junior last season, but it’s also important to take note of his three-point shooting when considering where he’ll fit into the Wake Forest rotation.
Just two Demon Deacons shot better than 40% from beyond the arc last season: Harris (43.1%) and Chase Fischer (42.2%), and as a team Wake Forest shot 34.5% from deep (8th in the ACC). Last season Williams connected on 41.6% of his shots from distance, and for his career the Midlothian, Va. native is a 42.2% three-point shooter.
“We are excited to welcome Coron to the Wake Forest basketball family,” said head coach Jeff Bzdelik in the school release. “He combines athleticism with an excellent long range shooting ability. Coron’s maturity and leadership will be a great asset to our team next season.
“We are all looking forward to having him join our program.”
Williams joins a roster led by forwards Travis McKie (13.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg) and Devin Thomas (9.1 ppg, 7.5 rpg) and guard Codi Miller-McIntyre (8.1 ppg, 2.6 apg), with the hope being that his shooting will not only help Wake Forest manage the departure of Harris but also relieve some of the pressure on McKie and Thomas.
“I think I can spread the court for this team with my shooting ability, coming off screens and moving to get open off penetration,” Williams stated in the release. “I can also bring some leadership and experience after playing four years of college basketball.”
Jul 29, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Notes on Vance Jackson, Brendan Bailey and Javonte Smart included.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
I’m OK with this becoming a thing all August.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tyson Waterman is the latest victim in the fallout from the Southern Miss scandal.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)