May 2, 2013, 4:50 PM EST
According to a report from Scott Powers of ESPN Chicago, Northern Illinois will add some size to its roster in the form of former Illinois State center Jordan Threloff.
Threloff saw limited playing time as a sophomore under first-year head coach Dan Muller and that ultimately led to his decision to transfer from Illinois State. A 6-10 redshirt sophomore center, Threloff played in 21 games this past season, averaging 2.5 points and 1.9 rebounds in 7.9 minutes per game.
Threloff played a grand total of 17 minutes in the Redbirds’ final ten games, and his decision to transfer has led the Dekalb native back to his hometown.
NIU has already signed four players in its 2013 recruiting class, brothers Aaron (a 6-4 guard who played at San Jose City College this past season) and Aaric Armstead, 6-2 guard Dontel Highsmith and Kansas State transfer Michael Orris.
The 2012-13 season was a rough one for NIU and first-year head coach Mark Montgomery, as they managed to win just five games and also set a record for offensive futility with a four-point first half in a loss at Eastern Michigan.
Suffice it to say that the Huskies are in need of a talent upgrade as they look to improve their standing within the Mid-American Conference.
Will this five-member class help push NIU basketball in the right direction? After last season, there really isn’t anywhere to go but up for Northern Illinois.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)