May 2, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
The NCAA had nearly $872 million in total revenue in the 2012 fiscal year, according to a report from USA Today’s Steve Berkowitz.
With around $801 million is total expenses, the NCAA recorded a surplus revenue of $71 million, which sounds like a huge number until you consider that it’s about 10% of the money generated annually by the NCAA’s broadcasting contract with CBS and Turner.
There’s also this, from the report:
The surplus, an all-time best for the organization, increased its year-end net assets to more than $566 million, roughly double where they stood at the conclusion of the 2006 fiscal year.
Among the NCAA’s $530 million in unrestricted assets was an endowment fund that had grown to more than $282 million as of the end of its 2012 fiscal year, Aug. 31. That’s more than double what the fund was worth six years earlier.
Of the $872 million in revenue generated by the NCAA this year, $504 million was distributed to Division I schools, $115 million on association-wide programs and $38.3 million on management and general spending.
Too bad those piles and piles of money isn’t enough to give the people generating them a fair cut of the profits.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)