May 2, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
The NCAA had nearly $872 million in total revenue in the 2012 fiscal year, according to a report from USA Today’s Steve Berkowitz.
With around $801 million is total expenses, the NCAA recorded a surplus revenue of $71 million, which sounds like a huge number until you consider that it’s about 10% of the money generated annually by the NCAA’s broadcasting contract with CBS and Turner.
There’s also this, from the report:
The surplus, an all-time best for the organization, increased its year-end net assets to more than $566 million, roughly double where they stood at the conclusion of the 2006 fiscal year.
Among the NCAA’s $530 million in unrestricted assets was an endowment fund that had grown to more than $282 million as of the end of its 2012 fiscal year, Aug. 31. That’s more than double what the fund was worth six years earlier.
Of the $872 million in revenue generated by the NCAA this year, $504 million was distributed to Division I schools, $115 million on association-wide programs and $38.3 million on management and general spending.
Too bad those piles and piles of money isn’t enough to give the people generating them a fair cut of the profits.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)