May 2, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
The NCAA had nearly $872 million in total revenue in the 2012 fiscal year, according to a report from USA Today’s Steve Berkowitz.
With around $801 million is total expenses, the NCAA recorded a surplus revenue of $71 million, which sounds like a huge number until you consider that it’s about 10% of the money generated annually by the NCAA’s broadcasting contract with CBS and Turner.
There’s also this, from the report:
The surplus, an all-time best for the organization, increased its year-end net assets to more than $566 million, roughly double where they stood at the conclusion of the 2006 fiscal year.
Among the NCAA’s $530 million in unrestricted assets was an endowment fund that had grown to more than $282 million as of the end of its 2012 fiscal year, Aug. 31. That’s more than double what the fund was worth six years earlier.
Of the $872 million in revenue generated by the NCAA this year, $504 million was distributed to Division I schools, $115 million on association-wide programs and $38.3 million on management and general spending.
Too bad those piles and piles of money isn’t enough to give the people generating them a fair cut of the profits.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)