May 2, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
The NCAA had nearly $872 million in total revenue in the 2012 fiscal year, according to a report from USA Today’s Steve Berkowitz.
With around $801 million is total expenses, the NCAA recorded a surplus revenue of $71 million, which sounds like a huge number until you consider that it’s about 10% of the money generated annually by the NCAA’s broadcasting contract with CBS and Turner.
There’s also this, from the report:
The surplus, an all-time best for the organization, increased its year-end net assets to more than $566 million, roughly double where they stood at the conclusion of the 2006 fiscal year.
Among the NCAA’s $530 million in unrestricted assets was an endowment fund that had grown to more than $282 million as of the end of its 2012 fiscal year, Aug. 31. That’s more than double what the fund was worth six years earlier.
Of the $872 million in revenue generated by the NCAA this year, $504 million was distributed to Division I schools, $115 million on association-wide programs and $38.3 million on management and general spending.
Too bad those piles and piles of money isn’t enough to give the people generating them a fair cut of the profits.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)