May 2, 2013, 10:43 PM EST
South Dakota State guard Taevaunn Prince entered the 2012-13 season as a player expected to improve on a freshman season in which he averaged 6.5 points and 3.4 rebounds per contest.
But that didn’t happen, as Prince’s scoring (4.4 ppg) and rebounding (2.1 rpg) averages dipped on a team that reached the NCAA tournament. In search of increased playing time Prince has decided to transfer, with head coach Scott Nagy announcing the move on Wednesday.
“It’s his desire to play more,” Nagy said according to Terry Vandrovec of the Argus Leader. “In order for him to do what he wants in terms of his dreams, he’s got to get somewhere he can play more.”
In two seasons at South Dakota State the 6-3 guard from Toronto averaged 15.1 minutes per game on teams that included the likes of Nate Wolters, Chad White and Brayden Carlson on the perimeter.
While Wolters is out of eligibility both White and Carlson return next season, and Josh White will also enter the fold after redshirting this past season due to a knee injury suffered in high school.
The Jackrabbits also have incoming freshman shooting guard Anders Broman joining the program as they look to account for the departure of Wolters and return to the NCAA tournament.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)