May 2, 2013, 10:43 PM EST
South Dakota State guard Taevaunn Prince entered the 2012-13 season as a player expected to improve on a freshman season in which he averaged 6.5 points and 3.4 rebounds per contest.
But that didn’t happen, as Prince’s scoring (4.4 ppg) and rebounding (2.1 rpg) averages dipped on a team that reached the NCAA tournament. In search of increased playing time Prince has decided to transfer, with head coach Scott Nagy announcing the move on Wednesday.
“It’s his desire to play more,” Nagy said according to Terry Vandrovec of the Argus Leader. “In order for him to do what he wants in terms of his dreams, he’s got to get somewhere he can play more.”
In two seasons at South Dakota State the 6-3 guard from Toronto averaged 15.1 minutes per game on teams that included the likes of Nate Wolters, Chad White and Brayden Carlson on the perimeter.
While Wolters is out of eligibility both White and Carlson return next season, and Josh White will also enter the fold after redshirting this past season due to a knee injury suffered in high school.
The Jackrabbits also have incoming freshman shooting guard Anders Broman joining the program as they look to account for the departure of Wolters and return to the NCAA tournament.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)