May 3, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
The supervisor of officials for the “new” Big East Conference, which will be officially recognized by the NCAA on August 1, will be a face familiar to many fans who have followed the holdovers for years.
That person would be John Cahill, who makes the move from the floor after forty years as a game official. Cahill’s final game was this year’s national title game between Louisville and Michigan, and in the story by Pete Dougherty of the Albany Times-Union Cahill stated that initially had second thoughts in regards to his decision to retire.
“I had second thoughts right after the time I walked off the floor in Atlanta on (that) Monday night,” Cahill said Wednesday. “I knew down deep that there was a possibility — although it was remote at that time — that it could be the last time. I was a little nostalgic about it, but not as nostalgic as I anticipated being. That convinced me that, you know what, it’s the right time.”
With the new position Cahill will have more control over his travel, as he can now pick and choose which games to attend as opposed to working nearly every night as he and many other officials who have become household names have done in recent years.
“I certainly can control my travel,” said Cahill, who missed the final month of the 2011-12 season because of a stress fracture in his leg. “If I go to the airport and it’s snowing, I can turn around and watch it on TV rather than wait all day to get there.”
How physical will play be in the conference, which officially adds Butler, Creighton and Xavier on July 1? That will be an interesting discussion to have in the weeks leading up to the start of the season, especially when considering the history of the Big East.
And Cahill will certainly be an influential figure as the conference looks to develop a “new” identity nationally.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)