May 3, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis and head coach Tom Izzo have come up with some interesting ideas when it comes to the Spartans’ non-conference schedule over the years.
Michigan State has taken on many high-profile challenges and played in some interesting environments, such as their game on an aircraft carrier against North Carolina two years ago and the matchup with UConn at Ramstein Air Base to kick off the 2012-13 campaign.
According to Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press there’s another idea in the works, as Hollis is looking to organize a four-team tournament in Spokane to honor former Michigan State head coach Jud Heathcoate.
“Like the events we’ve had before, this is something that’s being put together for the good of the game of basketball,” Hollis told the Free Press, “and to recognize a true legend of the game.”
But this won’t be your standard four-team event, as Heathcoate will have ties to all four schools: Michigan State, Gonzaga, Montana and Washington State.
Heathcoate served as an assistant at Washington State before taking the head coaching job at Montana, and from there he moved on to Michigan State where he won a national title in 1979 with players such as Magic Johnson and Greg Kelser leading the way.
Heathcoate is currently a resident of Spokane and his relationship with the Gonzaga program and head coach Mark Few serves as the reason why the Bulldogs would be involved.
The proposed match-ups would be good, with Michigan State taking on Gonzaga in what would be a marquee battle that would draw national interest and two-time defending Big Sky champion Montana battling a Washington State program looking to rebound from a disappointing 2012-13 campaign.
Hopefully this event happens on two fronts. First, there’s the angle of having two competitive early-season basketball games.
But more importantly, it would serve as a way to bring together those who have been influenced by Heathcoate and allow them to show their appreciation.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)